Ortho as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNA-RL

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone offer any advice to a 1st year medical student at tucom regarding whats the best way to go about getting an orthopedics residency in the near future. I heard its real competitive, so what grades will i need, do i need to be at the top of my class, how high should my boards be, and should i take the allo boards?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on if you want to apply to allo or osteo programs.

DNA-RL said:
Can anyone offer any advice to a 1st year medical student at tucom regarding whats the best way to go about getting an orthopedics residency in the near future. I heard its real competitive, so what grades will i need, do i need to be at the top of my class, how high should my boards be, and should i take the allo boards?

Your probably going to get a bunch of different answers and there has been a lot of talk on these (ortho/derm/neuro/optamology) in the past.

The way I figured it, it boils down to this. IMNSHO I'd kick butt in school, take the USMLE step one and score well on it, Do great in clinicals and honor a few, get some outstanding letters of recommendation from your rotations, maybe do an away/audition rotation at a program of choice, apply, and worry about the match then. :)