Ortho boot vs posterior splint ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I get away with an Ortho boot instead of a posterior splint? Is there any difference between the two (aside from the fact that an Ortho boot is way faster)?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I get away with an Ortho boot instead of a posterior splint? Is there any difference between the two (aside from the fact that an Ortho boot is way faster)?
Totally depends on the injury. Post an x-ray.

I put an air cast on a lat mal fx, b/c the pt was NWB. No problems.

And, if you work "so rural", where are you getting a boot? It's like when people say they're rural, and they have a hospitalist, AND an ICU doc. I'm rural, and there is NO such thing!!

Reactions: 1 user
If your hospital has PT then you have boots.

If your hospital has PT then you have boots.
Under lock and key, and have banker's hours. Whenever PT is there, my ortho guy is there (rural, we have enough work for ortho, but he takes weekends off, holidays, and goes to see his family in Europe for a month every summer), so they just go to him. If it is Friday night through Monday morning, no dice.

Get some stocked in the ED. We have plenty in ours

This is completely dependent on your local ortho.
What my ortho says and allows may be completely different from yours. Moreso, they may complain to your director. If it's bankers hours, call and ask. Get a rapport, even if they aren't on call. Just call the clinic you'll be sending people to and say "hey, what are your thoughts on this". You can do it on your off day if you don't want a major time suck.

This is completely dependent on your local ortho.
What my ortho says and allows may be completely different from yours. Moreso, they may complain to your director. If it's bankers hours, call and ask. Get a rapport, even if they aren't on call. Just call the clinic you'll be sending people to and say "hey, what are your thoughts on this". You can do it on your off day if you don't want a major time suck.

You make me appreciate my job...