Ortho Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilstar0024

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone-
So I have recently developed a strong interest in Ortho. Im a D3 and haven't done much until now to prepare for any specialty program as I wasn't intending in specializing. I got an 85 on Part I and am in a P/NP program so I have no GPA. I have not done any research either. What do you guys think I should do? Should I retake the boards or put all my time into taking Part II early and doing well on that. If I have a high score on my Part II will that compensate for a low Part I in anyway or should I just start studying for Part I again.
Also, do you guys think I should do some kind of research or I can be okay without it?
Is it too late for me to do anything?
Thanks! Any advise would be really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

do dental schools not have advisors much like undergrad or graduate schools do to help with questions like those? its a good question, but i'm not too sure on the reliability of a bunch of dental students in this matter. just my thoughts though.

Members don't see this ad :)
when i was in that "do I have a chance?" phase, i went to the program director at the ortho program at my school. they were really helpful in what i should do to better my chances. i would suggest you do the same.

for P/NP schools, don't they still rank you? for example, at Case, they do not give you a GPA but if you go to the admin office, they will tell you your rank.