Ortho Chances Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Foresight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got my board scores back and was wondering if these were at least competitive for Ortho:

Step 1: 235-240
Comlex level 1: 625-640

My school does have a "home" ortho program (former AOA)

would love to know your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Not particularly. I wouldn't go so far as to say you have no shot but you definitely have your work cut out for you and performing extremely well on your aways(or with your home program) is your best shot.

Comlex is relatively competitive. The highest cut offs I know of for DO programs are 600, although DO programs are pretty much all about the rotation. Try to get a pub or two over the next year and do well on auditions, you should be solid

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. Ya I know the Step is a little low, but I'm hopeful the COMLEX is competitive. From what I've heard the former AOA spots are pretty heavy on how your rotation is with them. Is that what others have heard as well? Thanks!

Those scores will get you in the door at our (former AOA) program and on an equal playing field with other rotators come match time. Once you hit the minimums, its all about your rotation and personality.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the above. Your Step 1 won't help you at all for DO or MD since it's way below the average. I wouldn't even waste apps on MD.

Apply to the previously AOA programs and crush your auditions. AOA programs are not all about scores. I know many ortho residents now who had <600 COMLEX (but they were really cool to work with, had research, connections, etc.)

Biggest things you need to focus on now.

1. Getting SOMETHING in research
2. Learning the basics of orthopedics like fracture classifications, basic management, and how to read and present xray images.
3. Network
4. When it comes to fourth year, rotate at programs that have a low number of students (for example, NOT places like Doctors that have hundreds of students)