Ortho Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DZT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I got my step 1 score-245/99, but I am not AOA. I have a good mix of honors and high satisfactory grades but just missed AOA b/c I could not get a dean's letter. I have two research articles w/my name on them in basic sciences before med school and did a little research w/o publications in neurosurgery. Do I have a shot at any spot in ortho and am i competitive. Thanks for your guys advice and good luck to all.

Nick

Members don't see this ad.

you are a good applicant and have a great shot. Apply widely and you should be fine.

I don't know man, scores aren't too bad, but given the picture...I'd say your chances are fair to poor.

DZT said:
Hey everybody,

I got my step 1 score-245/99, but I am not AOA. I have a good mix of honors and high satisfactory grades but just missed AOA b/c I could not get a dean's letter. I have two research articles w/my name on them in basic sciences before med school and did a little research w/o publications in neurosurgery. Do I have a shot at any spot in ortho and am i competitive. Thanks for your guys advice and good luck to all.

Nick

Members don't see this ad :)
cclinegreen said:
I don't know man, scores aren't too bad, but given the picture...I'd say your chances are fair to poor.
:laugh:

DZT said:
Hey everybody,

Nick

Awwwww the cut off for ortho is two-forty-SIX! TS bitch! And as far as ortho and research, no name = no match.

EDIT: I'm just messing with ya. I'm an MSIII and hope to match into ortho, and my numbers are not quite as good (244/99, all S's, no research "yet") so you sure as hell better be a competitive ortho applicant or I got problems.

Pompacil said:
Awwwww the cut off for ortho is two-forty-SIX! TS bitch! And as far as ortho and research, no name = no match.

EDIT: I'm just messing with ya. I'm an MSIII and hope to match into ortho, and my numbers are not quite as good (244/99, all S's, no research "yet") so you sure as hell better be a competitive ortho applicant or I got problems.

Show up with that Avatar and you are money.

Just out of (hopefully hypothetical) curiosity, has anyone ever matched in ortho after failing anatomy (and passing a makeup exam)? Could really amazing grades in subsequent courses and killer boards make up for that?