Ortho elective for IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nagar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I m an intern from Israel (in Israel the internship is not part of the residency) and I would like to take a month elective in one of the hospitals in the states (in ortho, naturally).

Does anyone know:
1) how should I do that ?
2) Which hospitals accept IMGs, and what is their status ?
3) What documents needed and how much does it cost ?

any help will do
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Nagar said:
Hi
I m an intern from Israel (in Israel the internship is not part of the residency) and I would like to take a month elective in one of the hospitals in the states (in ortho, naturally).

Does anyone know:
1) how should I do that ?
2) Which hospitals accept IMGs, and what is their status ?
3) What documents needed and how much does it cost ?

any help will do
thanx

Hi there friend,
I doubt there will be a "list" of programs that will accept visiting IMG's, so what I suggest is going to freida (Fellowship and residency electronic interactive database) http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/2997.html

Select programs from regions of interest. From there, contact the programs directly (contact info is provided under each program) by email or phone call. Some will have online applications that specifically say if they allow IMG's or not.

For US grads, documents needed are proof of insurance coverage for practicing medicine, provided by your institution (at least $1-3 million of coverage), proof of vaccinations as well as a negative PPD or chest Xray in last year, proof of good standing (in your case maybe proof of graduation). As for the cost, most programs charge US grads $100, this is not for tuition, but to hold your spot and pay for misc stuff like paperwork and such. Tuition is usually not charged, however, housing and transportation is almost never covered. You have to set that all up yourself in most cases.

This whole process may be difficult for an IMG as most programs that I've looked into (in Philadelphia) say that you must be from an accedited US school. However, if you truely want to come here for a rotation, I suggest you contact the programs and try, even if they advertise that they only take US grads.

Good luck,
sscooterguy