millepora

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I have found numerous sites that quote Ortho salaries, but I really have no idea what kind of hours these surgeons are working to make that kind of money.

I see numbers of 375-500k floating around.

I heard at times the average attending works 60 hours/week. Is that what kind of hours they work to make this kind of money?

Also, I don't fully understand how those hours break down.

Is it more like three 24 hour days on a call a week or five 12 hours shifts a week?

RemoteDoc

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I have found numerous sites that quote Ortho salaries, but I really have no idea what kind of hours these surgeons are working to make that kind of money.

I see numbers of 375-500k floating around.

I heard at times the average attending works 60 hours/week. Is that what kind of hours they work to make this kind of money?

Also, I don't fully understand how those hours break down.

Is it more like three 24 hour days on a call a week or five 12 hours shifts a week?
Salary estimations for physicians can be a little misleading. There is not really a standard work-week for the majority of physicians. I would note for many orthopods I have shadowed, many do work 60+ hour work weeks.

On another note: You can use the search function in the upper right corner of SDN to acquire more specifics about your inquiries -- your exact question has been asked numerous times before on this forum. Because of this, I would not be surprised if many are reluctant to answer your questions.

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Depends on private practice v academic. Depends on partner via en route to partner. Depends on your specialty training. Lots of depends.

PharmaTope

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
Status
Depends on private practice v academic. Depends on partner via en route to partner. Depends on your specialty training. Lots of depends.
yep depends if they have residents and interns doing all the other work for them while they show up and do surgery. i know of a few guys that GROSS over 1 million. They break their backs working though because they want that money and lifestyle.

you can easily make 300 working 8-5 or 6 daily and getting a lunch break.... this is with CURRENT reimbursement. remember though, obamacare is coming to take over your paychecks. also remember that all his programs he putting in will ultimately have very high taxes in the future. keep all this in mind, things are changing bigtime in the future.

ThePimpDoc

Pimping in yo' 'hood
Jul 3, 2010
Status
Medical Student
you can easily make 300 working 8-5 or 6 daily and getting a lunch break.... this is with CURRENT reimbursement. remember though, obamacare is coming to take over your paychecks. also remember that all his programs he putting in will ultimately have very high taxes in the future. keep all this in mind, things are changing bigtime in the future.
On what do you base this claim?

Feb 19, 2010
Status
Isn't ortho a little less susceptible to health care reform?

They see a lot of younger middle class patients, and have a smaller share of Medicare and Medicaid patients (at least compared to something like Urology or GS).

When they invent crash-proof cars, orthos might take a hit.

PharmaTope

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
Status
Isn't ortho a little less susceptible to health care reform?

They see a lot of younger middle class patients, and have a smaller share of Medicare and Medicaid patients (at least compared to something like Urology or GS).

When they invent crash-proof cars, orthos might take a hit.
true but who needs new hips.... who usually having spine surgeries.....

VincentAdultman

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2005
New York
Status
Attending Physician
Plenty of orthopods don't do joint replacements and spine. And the spine guys do a lot of elective surgery.
Spine sure, but I wouldn't say "plenty of orthopods don't do joint replacements."

Keep in mind that private insurance bases their reimbursements off medicare. So don't think that just becuase you see private patients doen't mean you don't get affected by cuts to medicare.