ortho interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Howard Roark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the program. I got some interviews last year before all my letters where uploaded. The bottom line is that your Dean's letter won't be out yet anyway, and that is most likely the most important letter there is. But some programs will wait for all that info, and some will offer interviews with USMLE score and grades. So there really isnt a good answer unless you ask about specific programs.

I don't think many places offer interviews before the middle of october at the earliest so you should have plenty of time. There is an interview thread on orthogate that has dates if you want to verify this.

Although I agree with OSU03 about the fact that it varies from program to program, I disagree that the Dean's letter is the most important. Probably far more important are letters from Orthopaedic surgeons that you've worked or rotated with. The fact that Dean's letters aren't released until Nov. 1 and most candidates will hear back about interviews either around that time or very shortly thereafter attests to the relative unimportance of that particular document. I would also strive to have all of your submitted letters come from Ortho surgeons, as letters from other physicians (except maybe those from docs that you've done research with) carry, on average, very little weight. In fact, one of my now ortho intern friends had a non-ortho letter thrown into the trash during his interview as his interviewer was reviewing the contents of his file. Just my $0.02.