Ortho programs—2 yr vs. 3 yr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boobah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The 2yr programs are nice because obviously that’s one less year you have to be in school, but in the long run are you at any disadvantage by attending a 2 yr program? I mean once you get out into private practice; Are you significantly less efficient and less competent than those who graduated from 3 year programs?
I would appreciate if any current residents could chime in.
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

For a bit more response.....I know of two partners that graduated within a year of each other. One attended a two year program and the other a three year. I have spent many hours in their office and find NO difference in their speed/abilities.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a bit more response.....I know of two partners that graduated within a year of each other. One attended a two year program and the other a three year. I have spent many hours in their office and find NO difference in their speed/abilities.

In a 3 year program, you will spend way more time sitting around drinking coffee in the program office than a two year program...

3 year programs usually have a MS or MDS associated with it. In other words the extra time is so you can get your research done.

I know people in 2-year, 2.5-year, and 3-year programs who are required to do a Masters. I can't remember the exact figures, but I think most (~60-70%) programs require a Masters. I would guess that on average the research project done at a 3-year program is slightly more involved than the average one completed at a 2-year school. However, there is so much variation between schools.

For example, I know residents at a 2.5-year program who routinely complete a "whimpy" Masters. Their projects can't be any tougher than those undertaken at a program w/ shorter length (2 years). In fact, some of the 2-year program directors expect the most and work you pretty hard. I'm not saying that is bad, you just have to decide what you want. But if you wish, you can choose to do elaborate, time-intensive projects anywhere.

So, why do the directors make the kids stay for 3 vs. 2 years? My guesses: 1) to have the freedom to schedule in more research time during the week (likely not always used to do research by the residents) and 2) to allow the residents more time to complete more cases.

I bet most residents come out w/in a narrow range of each other. Many 2-year schools are very clinical because they have to be. They don't have you for 3 years. Yet, so much is dependent on the individual resident. So much of what we do is self-learning. I've discovered that you finish residency w/ whatever you want in your tank. Each school will provide you w/ an adequate number of patients to get you to a sufficient level. What you choose to do from there is up to you. No surprise. Life is what you make of it.

I think you'll find that most residents rank 2-year programs ahead of those of longer length. There are exceptions to this, though. I ranked a program of longer length first--ahead of three 2-year programs. For me, quality of life weighed heavily.

Yet, w/ the Match you don't have a lot of control. You just hope to get in. You go where the Match tells you. So, you'll complete an extremely thorough analysis of the million pros and cons and then "play the Match."

From what I understand it is easier to complete American Board of Orthodontics requirements in a 3yr program vs. a 2 yr program. AJO-DO published an article on this a while back. A large number of orthodontists aren't ABO certified (and they can make a sound argument as to why they don't feel certification is necessary), but organized orthodontics likes as many ABO cert. ortho's as possible.

From what I understand it is easier to complete American Board of Orthodontics requirements in a 3yr program vs. a 2 yr program. AJO-DO published an article on this a while back. A large number of orthodontists aren't ABO certified (and they can make a sound argument as to why they don't feel certification is necessary), but organized orthodontics likes as many ABO cert. ortho's as possible.

This is an important thing to ask about on your interviews. Starting this year, residents will be able to present their board cases upon graduation to become board certified. In the upcoming years, you will be able to distinguish between programs which are graduating board certified orthodontists and those that are not. There was a experimental/practice run of this a couple years ago involving only a handful of volunteering programs. My program was one of the participants. It's a 26mo program and all of our residents passed. Not all of the 2 or 3 yr participating programs passed, but I can't remember the exact statistics.

Greater time in a program allows for more attention to completing the ABO requirements (all else being equal). That makes sense.

What are the most common reasons orthodontists don't feel certification is necessary? I'd like to hear those reasons. I'm still green and haven't heard all the arguments on both sides. I'm sure the students applying now could benefit from this discussion, too.

Greater time in a program allows for more attention to completing the ABO requirements (all else being equal). That makes sense.

What are the most common reasons orthodontists don't feel certification is necessary? I'd like to hear those reasons. I'm still green and haven't heard all the arguments on both sides. I'm sure the students applying now could benefit from this discussion, too.

they probably don't think it's not necessary, just didn't get certified while doing residency....i think everyone thinks it's a good thing to be ABO certified, but should be done while/shortly after residency. once out in practice i guess it's tougher to do all those things...sorry too lazy to find the article, that should answer your questions.

i also agree that greater time in a program = more time to treat and document cases. some 3yr programs from what i've heard are pretty intense, while others are more laid back.