Ortho Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HtSht2BoneDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont mean for this to sound like a stupid question but it is an honest concern that I have.

I received greater than 260 on STEP 1. I am a stellar student with a lot of honors. I just started my 3rd year. I have never done research to get into med school or while in medschool. I have participated in extra currics like tutoring and clubs. I have also won about 5 awards for academic excellence in various medical school classes.

Heres the question if anyone can honestly answer...

Can I land an Ortho spot , a good program any where in the nation or a California spot,with these credentials and NO RESEARCH?

The concern is because I do not want to look like an idiot doing research when I have never done it before, its not that I dont want to because i honestly do....I was just hoping to wait till residency to make it meaningful. I mean could i really accomplish alot in 1 month if I have never participated in a research project?

Help is Appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

There are programs that love research, but a 260+ on Step 1 should override that. So on paper, you see like a good applicant.

However, and I mean this in no mean way, I have yet to meet anyone with that many academic successes who isnt a complete tool. Case in point is the dude we all met on the trail last year from NYC with the 265 who matched 10th on his list (anyone who interviewed last year knows who I mean). So hopefully you are the 1 who will be the exception to that rule.

Bottom line is you will get interviews, but if you are a tool you'll match low or not match.

OSU03 said:
There are programs that love research, but a 260+ on Step 1 should override that. So on paper, you see like a good applicant.

However, and I mean this in no mean way, I have yet to meet anyone with that many academic successes who isnt a complete tool. Case in point is the dude we all met on the trail last year from NYC with the 265 who matched 10th on his list (anyone who interviewed last year knows who I mean). So hopefully you are the 1 who will be the exception to that rule.

Bottom line is you will get interviews, but if you are a tool you'll match low or not match.

Thanks for the advice. And Im with you on the tool bit. Im actually pretty cool...I just STUDIED my ass off for step one for 6 months and destroyed that **** because I heard you had to for ortho. Thanks again. Any more advice would be appreciated by any one ekse who wants to hook it up.