Ortho research question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DracoDormiens

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is kinesiology research done during medical school looked upon favorably by orthopedic surgery residencies (e.g. is it specific enough to orthopedic surgery or is it looked at as non-ortho research)?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Along similar lines, how would the following be viewed:

- basic science research with a pediatric endocrinologist in the ortho department looking at steroid-induced osteoporosis in children
- clinical research with a plastic/reconstructive surgeon pioneering more effective cranioplasty techniques
- clinical/public health research with an internist who specializes in obesity medicine studying physical/environmental factors that influence body weight

I understand that straight up clinical ortho research on things like ACL repair and total joint replacements is the most common and highly recommended since it’s directly tied to orthopedics, but I’m curious to know if it would be worth it to pursue any of these unconventional or tangentially related research topics alongside regular clinical ortho research.

The main reason I ask is that my school seems to have limited ortho research output, so I was thinking of trying to supplement any purely ortho research I do with research in one of these alternate fields.

Along similar lines, how would the following be viewed:

- basic science research with a pediatric endocrinologist in the ortho department looking at steroid-induced osteoporosis in children
- clinical research with a plastic/reconstructive surgeon pioneering more effective cranioplasty techniques
- clinical/public health research with an internist who specializes in obesity medicine studying physical/environmental factors that influence body weight

I understand that straight up clinical ortho research on things like ACL repair and total joint replacements is the most common and highly recommended since it’s directly tied to orthopedics, but I’m curious to know if it would be worth it to pursue any of these unconventional or tangentially related research topics alongside regular clinical ortho research.

The main reason I ask is that my school seems to have limited ortho research output, so I was thinking of trying to supplement any purely ortho research I do with research in one of these alternate fields.

First one good, rest irrelevant.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you can get in on some hand surgery work through that plastic surgeon

Reactions: 1 user