Ortho Resident with Advising Opportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcnetsfan77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone has been offered any role in advising startups or other companies as a resident? A friend of a friend reached out to me who runs an advisory company that help medical start ups and they want me on board to help them assess a medical tech company creating something ortho-related.

First, wanted to make sure I wasnt being scammed- its a legit source and I know the person.
Second, wanted to make sure I wasnt being preyed on- doesnt seem that way
Havent had a meeting yet but ill be discussing the opportunity with them this week. Im wondering what the compensation and time commitment would be.

According to my residency, if I get paid for this it would count as moonlighting hours and I would just need the approval of my PD.

Noone in my residency historically has had an opportunity like this so I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and can lend some advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone has been offered any role in advising startups or other companies as a resident? A friend of a friend reached out to me who runs an advisory company that help medical start ups and they want me on board to help them assess a medical tech company creating something ortho-related.

First, wanted to make sure I wasnt being scammed- its a legit source and I know the person.
Second, wanted to make sure I wasnt being preyed on- doesnt seem that way
Havent had a meeting yet but ill be discussing the opportunity with them this week. Im wondering what the compensation and time commitment would be.

According to my residency, if I get paid for this it would count as moonlighting hours and I would just need the approval of my PD.

Noone in my residency historically has had an opportunity like this so I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and can lend some advice!

The obvious question for your friend of a friend: why would a company want a resident when they would get much more useful info from a board certified attending with experience? And if they couldn’t get an attending to sign on, why not?