Pegasus82

10+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2006
Sweden
Status
MD/PhD Student
of course there is a wide variety of personalites applying for and doing ortho.
but is there a stereotyp here?

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
Pegasus82 said:
of course there is a wide variety of personalites applying for and doing ortho.
but is there a stereotyp here?
Stereotypes always have some truth to them, although they do not hold water 100% of the time (obviously).

Ortho stereotype: Type A gunner, former athlete, semi-arrogant, good looking, tall male.

Reactions: Avicenna
OP
P

Pegasus82

10+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2006
Sweden
Status
MD/PhD Student
Hardbody said:
Stereotypes always have some truth to them, although they do not hold water 100% of the time (obviously).

Ortho stereotype: Type A gunner, former athlete, semi-arrogant, good looking, tall male.
what does "type-a-gunner" mean? (Im not from a english-speaking country)

Mooby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
Status
Pegasus82 said:
what does "type-a-gunner" mean? (Im not from a english-speaking country)
Type-A refers to more aggressive individuals (The opposite is Type-B's which are more passive)

A "gunner is just someone who is ambitious.

hammena1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2005
San Diego
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would replace "gunner" with motivated. A gunner is typically quietly disliked by compatriots for their attempts to shine at the expense of others while most ortho residents are well liked. You have to play nice.

VincentAdultman

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2005
New York
Status
Attending Physician
Hardbody said:

Four out of five! :thumbup:

Frank Hardy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hardbody said:

You forgot to include white. Does anyone know what percentage of ortho docs fit this profile?

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
California
Status
Medical Student
Frank Hardy said:
You forgot to include white. Does anyone know what percentage of ortho docs fit this profile?
I'm not sure if there are particularly more white ortho docs than any other surgical specialty, but that doesn't say much.

OP
P

Pegasus82

10+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2006
Sweden
Status
MD/PhD Student
Frank Hardy said:
yeah, not a lot of minorities in ortho. wonder why?

cdql

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
Boston
Status
Medical Student
I would guess that as you go higher up along the education pathway, there are less and less minorities. (The school I go to has a sparkling minority percentage of less than 5%. I love how they feed us with this diversity BS every year and then turn around and ignore their own advice)

But one can imagine how difficult it must be to get into med school if you are a disadvantaged minority (yes, generalization. not all minorities are disadvantaged)

But if getting in is hard enough, getting all honors, getting the high board scores, building contacts, getting great LORs, etc... etc... must be even tougher. That could explain why there are few minorities in that field. (Just a guess...not trying to incite race wars or anything here!)

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
FYI, I know of a very successful spinal ortho pod that is an african-american. Just thought I would give some inspiration to any URM's wishing to obtain ortho, although none of my stereotype traits had anything to do with race.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Hardbody said:
FYI, I know of a very successful spinal ortho pod that is an african-american. Just thought I would give some inspiration to any URM's wishing to obtain ortho, although none of my stereotype traits had anything to do with race.
I met one too...went to ucsf for medical and university of chicago for undergrad....really smart guy.

I seem to fit the stereotype pretty well. I am not sure I am "gunner" status..but close to it. 6'5", former powerlifter/football tons of other sports...can be a jackass, white.....like using powertools.lol

thackl

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Austin, TX
Visit site
Status
I never really considered this field much, but sooooo many tell me I'll end up in it :D :D :D

6'6", 225, former 3 sport varsity, remodel homes (POWER TOOLS!) for the last 4yrs in free time (since getting out of engineering). Top-o-the-class and excellent step1...... guess I fit the mold?

What kind of hrs you guys work?

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
thackl said:
I never really considered this field much, but sooooo many tell me I'll end up in it :D :D :D

6'6", 225, former 3 sport varsity, remodel homes (POWER TOOLS!) for the last 4yrs in free time (since getting out of engineering). Top-o-the-class and excellent step1...... guess I fit the mold?

Except for the medschool stuff we seem to be in the same boat.lol I still need to get to the school though! I was a little heavier too...(255 at 8 percent bf during football...swimming dropped it down a bit)

rouge et noir

What's new, pussycat?
10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hardbody said:

If I'm not mistaken, but isn't that the stereotype for basically all surgeons in every discipline?

rouge et noir

What's new, pussycat?
10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
thackl said:

6'6"? what the hell are you a giant? well you'll certainly tower over most your patients, and other surgeons as well.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
rouge et noir said:
6'6"? what the hell are you a giant? well you'll certainly tower over most your patients, and other surgeons as well.
Table up please....up....up...more please...table up more please...

:laugh: :laugh:

RxnMan

Who, me? A doctor?
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2006
Somewhere in time and relative dimensions in space
Status
Medical Student
thackl said:

You never really stop being an engineer - we're born this way!

I'm also interested in power tools and the fun devices that orthopods use to fix people. How did you adapt to med school? That is, how did you manage the educational transistion from "understanding and knowing how to apply a concept" to, "memorize this book?"

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
rouge et noir said:
If I'm not mistaken, but isn't that the stereotype for basically all surgeons in every discipline?
It is the stereotype for other surgeons, but for other surgeons you have to subtract the good looking and tall portion ;) ! J/K

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
I always wondered what it ment to be taller as a surgeon. I hate working really far away from things with my hands sometimes. How high do those tables go? lol Back pain from standing there would be a bummer too!

greenbean

10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2005
Status
my mom is an ortho-gal ,she does mostly hips though: she's short(4'11"), now overweight, she's very funny, pretty strong and tough,oh yes she's an fmg

when i did my ortho rotation, i found most of the attendings to be: white, jewish, some were very tall some were 5'5"(so not so tall), not all of them were into athletics(definitely not the hand ones or the one of the knee ones), all were hilarious, i loved just talking to all of them

hope this helps :)

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
greenbean said:
my mom is an ortho-gal ,she does mostly hips though: she's short(4'11"), now overweight, she's very funny, pretty strong and tough,oh yes she's an fmg
when i did my ortho rotation, i found most of the attendings to be: white, jewish, some were very tall some were 5'5"(so not so tall), not all of them were into athletics(definitely not the hand ones or the one of the knee ones), all were hilarious, i loved just talking to all of them

Wow, that certainly isn't what comes to mind when I think of an orthopod. Good for your mom, she obviously got into ortho when very few women were taken seriously in the field and she is also an fmg. I can't even imagine what kind of hard work she must have put in to reach that level. :thumbup:

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
thackl said:

6'6" 225? You're a rail! (Just messin' bud.)

Try 5'10 230 :D former wrestler, and of course the loud mouth with the disgusting/witty humor everyone adores :) :cool: :laugh:

And, I'm premed, but surgery has always been VERY interesting to me.

Frank Hardy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
greenbean said:

Wow! Thanks for the encouragement green bean. Although I don't fit your mom's profile I'm definitely not an allstar quarterback or anything. Lean muscles, enjoy working out, love (now) watching surgery online or elsewhere, and hope to join everyone here soon.

thejesus

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Status
Medical Student
cdql said:
I would guess that as you go higher up along the education pathway, there are less and less minorities. (The school I go to has a sparkling minority percentage of less than 5%. I love how they feed us with this diversity BS every year and then turn around and ignore their own advice)

But one can imagine how difficult it must be to get into med school if you are a disadvantaged minority (yes, generalization. not all minorities are disadvantaged)

But if getting in is hard enough, getting all honors, getting the high board scores, building contacts, getting great LORs, etc... etc... must be even tougher. That could explain why there are few minorities in that field. (Just a guess...not trying to incite race wars or anything here!)
just wondering why we ignore ppl of indian and asian descent when considering minorities. together, i dont think they even make up 1% of the total population... in my med school class, they're probably well over 30%. and in ortho, theyre also fairly well represented.

its true though, lots of conservative, white christian males in ortho and surgery in general.

Wahoos

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
The sterotype is somewhat true but at the same time, you have a lot of Orthopods that do not fit the mold. There is less minorities (Black, Asian, Hisplanic, etc) in Orthopedics. Less than 8% of the residents are women. When I interviewed 2 yrs ago, every where I go, in a room of 30 people, maybe you see a few minorities, usually less than 1-2 women and lots of white male. I think the field attacts former atheletes because of the option of doing a operative sports fellowship. Most of the Ortho residents are very hard working and motivated, (you do have to do well in school and boards in order to get a spot) It is also a field where everyone tries to help each other.... not maligant. The operations are fun and the tools in the OR available to the Orthopod is unmatched. You do a lot for the patients and can often times restore their quality of life very rapidly. Many cool trauma cases.... scopes for the knee/ankle/shoulder.... joint replacements.... spine surgeries.... hand surgeries.... even Tumor fellowships = big cases of resections.

The Chairman of UVA Orthopedics is African American (Dr. Cato Lawrencin)and has a radiculous CV... MD from Harvard Med, PhD from MIT in tissue engineering, Residency at HSS (arguablly the highest regarded Ortho residency), Fellowship at HSS, and with many many patents / awards / publications of greater than 100 in peer reviewed journals / book chapters / etc, etc. The are also very promient Asian orthopods in Spine, Dr. An in Rush, Dr. Chan in Spine at UVA, etc. etc. Dr. Freddy Fu, Chairman of the U of Pitt Ortho Dept and huge name in Sports medicine, internationally well known. He has maybe 300-400 publications, numerous book chapters and books, many awards, etc. Dr. Wang, former chair at UVA and internationally known for total hip replacement and member of the Hip Society.

About the Tall and good looking part.... you don't need to be tall to do Ortho, just good looking :D , j/k. I have seen a 6'2" 220 lb male struggle with a distal radius fracture reduction in the ED, (wasn't able to reduce it), then the senior resident who is 5'3", about 110 lbs, and female, reduce the fx in less than a min. Real story. There is an attending that I worked with who is All American Center in Basketball 15 years ago in college, listed at 7'0" and yes, we are all on 1-2 blocks in the OR when operating with him. Orthopods come in all shapes and sizes.

assos

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
strong as a bull, and about as intelligent.

Trajan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
The ortho residency director at Hopkins (an AMC alumnus) is 4'3" -- he specializes in peds ortho and id the world's only orthopaedic surgeon with achondroplasia.

Go Albany Medical College!

Frumps

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What do you think are the stereotypes of the other surgical specialties...such as: ENT, urology, ophthalmolgy, plastics, general, etc.??

dobonedoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2002
Visit site
Status
Being short, they are more than "semi-arrogant." I think short and arrogant goes along with a particular syndrome . . .

iliacus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
The ortho residency director at Hopkins (an AMC alumnus) is 4'3" -- he specializes in peds ortho and id the world's only orthopaedic surgeon with achondroplasia.
Wow, that guy may be only 4'3", but he sounds like he has a pair of nads that would make Shaq blush. I can only imagine what he had to get through to be where he's at now. Kudos....I'd let him operate on me.

Jonassen

Too pale
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2006
Are East Asians in ortho relatively rare? Do they also have the ortho stereotype?
I'm somewhat interested in ortho (of course way too early to say with any certainty), and I fit the ortho stereotype, except not white.

Hiram Coggin

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2005
Status
There is an attending that I worked with who is All American Center in Basketball 15 years ago in college, listed at 7'0" and yes, we are all on 1-2 blocks in the OR when operating with him. Orthopods come in all shapes and sizes.
lol, must be Dr. AK. He dips everytime he walks thru a door.