Ortho vs Anesthesia. Lifestyle concern

Started by datSattar
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

datSattar

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would appreciate any input. MS3 currently deciding between ortho and anesthesia. I love love ortho. Awesome surgeries. Healthy and grateful patients. I don't love the idea of becoming a surgeon who has no time for anything but work. Love to travel, spend time with family, have time off (happy with 6 weeks/year). Post-residency, how easy is it to arrange my schedule to fit my lifestyle goals (understanding that I might make less $$?) Or am I committed to a pretty hectic life once I decide on ortho?

tldr: When considering ortho vs gas, are the lifestyles drastically different enough to warrant my dilemma?
 
Would appreciate any input. MS3 currently deciding between ortho and anesthesia. I love love ortho. Awesome surgeries. Healthy and grateful patients. I don't love the idea of becoming a surgeon who has no time for anything but work. Love to travel, spend time with family, have time off (happy with 6 weeks/year). Post-residency, how easy is it to arrange my schedule to fit my lifestyle goals (understanding that I might make less $$?) Or am I committed to a pretty hectic life once I decide on ortho?

tldr: When considering ortho vs gas, are the lifestyles drastically different enough to warrant my dilemma?

Ortho, will offer you better job security long term.

Anesthesia: more options to tailor your schedule. Know ppl who have 6-10+ weeks off.