Ortho vs Anesthesia. Lifestyle concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

datSattar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate any input. MS3 currently deciding between ortho and anesthesia. I love love ortho. Awesome surgeries. Healthy and grateful patients. I don't love the idea of becoming a surgeon who has no time for anything but work. Love to travel, spend time with family, have time off (happy with 6 weeks/year). Post-residency, how easy is it to arrange my schedule to fit my lifestyle goals (understanding that I might make less $$?) Or am I committed to a pretty hectic life once I decide on ortho?

tldr: When considering ortho vs gas, are the lifestyles drastically different enough to warrant my dilemma?

Members don't see this ad.

6 weeks a year is hard to get. as an attending, i get only 4.
the only qn you need to answer is if you truly love surgery and can't see yourself doing anything else. if you can see yourself doing something else (like anesthesia), then you should do that.

Would appreciate any input. MS3 currently deciding between ortho and anesthesia. I love love ortho. Awesome surgeries. Healthy and grateful patients. I don't love the idea of becoming a surgeon who has no time for anything but work. Love to travel, spend time with family, have time off (happy with 6 weeks/year). Post-residency, how easy is it to arrange my schedule to fit my lifestyle goals (understanding that I might make less $$?) Or am I committed to a pretty hectic life once I decide on ortho?

tldr: When considering ortho vs gas, are the lifestyles drastically different enough to warrant my dilemma?

Ortho, will offer you better job security long term.

Anesthesia: more options to tailor your schedule. Know ppl who have 6-10+ weeks off.