ortho without research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amherstguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
was thinking of applying ortho next year? got no ortho research though i have some research in heme/onc (no publication), and a random first author article in ent (not research) accepted for publication in a decent journal. around 250's on step 1, top 20 nih medical school. honors medicine/psych/peds/surgery/anesthesia; not sure what to do...apply or take a year off or apply 4 something else?...? not interested in ent or heme/onc at this point; really really do NOT want to take a year off if i don't have to

Members don't see this ad.

From what people have told me, it's better to have ANY type of research vs. no research at all. From the info that I have gathered, it seems that PDs are interested in the fact taht you pursued and showed interest in research and are able to talk about it in an interview.

Many understand that publications are hard to come by and usually out of our hands, so I've been told that if you get published, awesome, if not, that's ok as well.

I think you would be a competitive applicant with your grades, scores, ect. Just do some away rotations during 4th year, get some lors, and apply.

check out orthogate and here and you will find out that 1. people hate posts like yours 2. you should be fine getting interviews, you still have tons of time to get ortho research especially based on your past work (your numbers will get you in the door so you have till interview time to work on doing research) 3. Being able to get along well with others is probably the biggest thing, so hopefully outside of all your research work and doing well on rotations you found some time to interact socially with others

Members don't see this ad :)
check out orthogate and here and you will find out that 1. people hate posts like yours 2. you should be fine getting interviews, you still have tons of time to get ortho research especially based on your past work (your numbers will get you in the door so you have till interview time to work on doing research) 3. Being able to get along well with others is probably the biggest thing, so hopefully outside of all your research work and doing well on rotations you found some time to interact socially with others

I think the OP is suffering more from bad advice than anything else. With an app like that, he/she should have no issues securing a ton of interviews. But clearly someone along the way told him that without Ortho research he's at a significant disadvantage. That's very wrong, of course, but how could he know it?

Your point #3 is dead on, and I think one of the most overlooked part of applying to our field. Your paper will get you in the door, but failure to "fit in" will kill your chances in the end. If you can't get along with the residents and attendings in the program, you can't get a spot, simple as that.

I was once told a story about a very prominent East Coast program that rejected applicants for things as silly as wearing an ugly color suit at an interview. When the PD was asked why someone would be turned down for something so trivial, his response was along the lines of, "Because I have 50 other applicants who are just as smart, and most of them took the time to think about what they put on this morning. Why would I want someone who didn't?"

hey i didnt mean to annoy. unfortunetly i have been told by fellow students that ortho almost requires a year off for research these days. i really do not want to take a year off at this point. and i do want to get into a decent university program. it is a good idea that i can get involved in something between now and interview time at least i can have some work to talk about. how many aways do u suggest i do and what type of programs should i be looking at?

"Fellow students" are not looking out for your best interests.

Reactions: 1 user