Orthopaedic as a DO?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Eastern Medicine

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I just want to know if you could become an orthopaedic surgeon as a DO.
If yes, is it harder to get a residency spot in orthopaedic than MDs?

Thanks~

Members don't see this ad.

You are premed right? DO's, if they choose to do so, have their OWN residency system. So there are orthopedic residency programs specifically for Osteopathic residents. They tend to be in smaller hospitals which are not university affiliated.
Some DO's choose the allopathic ACGME programs...and this has been historically more difficult for DO applicants to match with. Especially surgical programs. I am doing the allopathic match.

In regards to the Orthopedic question, I am in the same boat. I am desiring to be an orthopedic surgeon as well through the D.O. route. The mentor I am shadowing is a D.O. and is an orthopedic surgeon who completed his residency at an osteopathic program and then proceeded onto a post doc fellowship at an allopathic institution. In regards to his knowledge, he is one of the top orthopedists here in the Cincinnati area as he not only combines what he learned in residency but uses the OMT training as well. Many patients tend to feel that the OMT training, especially in orthopedics, is a helpful tool. I hope this added some insight to your inquiry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read on AOA's website today that they did away with the orthopaedic match and you now have to apply to individual hospitals for residencies. Has anyone else heard about this or have any more information? AOA kinda glossed over it on the site...

not sure about the residency stuff, but i have 2 family friends who are both orthopedic surgeons (both DOs) in florida. don't know where they went to school or anything either. in fact...my post is utterly uninformative aside from the fact that, yes, DOs can become orthopedic surgeons. :rolleyes:

A D.O. did my hand surgery a couple of years ago. It's my guess that is a common practice, along with family medicine and ER.

According to AOA, there are 800 DO orthopedic surgeons in the US. That's just the ones that are registered with the AOA database. There are more that are not registered of course. Does anyone find this number too small?

During our Osteopathic Principles and Philosophy course, we were told that in a few years that Osteopathic Orthopedic Surgeons will outnumber Allopathic Orthopedic Surgeons.... As far as the exact reference to this, unfortunately I cannot remember. Some of the OMM fellows at DMU-OMC have become Orthopedic Surgeon Residents.... And there's more to come.