orthopaedic sports medicine...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laneyj34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year I will be an undergrad (Sr) at FSU. Next fall I will be in med school, most likely at either FSU or UF. I REALLY want to do either ortho sports med or ortho hand and upper extrem. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to best attain this goal? From what I gather, I really need to buckle down in med school and make straight A's, impress teachers enough so that they know me and can write good letters of rec, do very well on my rotations later in med school, and do some sort of research while in med school. Is this correct?

Also, will where I go for med school affect my chances to get into an ortho residency?

Also, what do you all know of UF's ortho program? Is it top notch? I know about the university, but not much about their ortho program. Would it be suitable for ortho sports med?

Members don't see this ad.

laneyj34 said:
This year I will be an undergrad (Sr) at FSU. Next fall I will be in med school, most likely at either FSU or UF. I REALLY want to do either ortho sports med or ortho hand and upper extrem. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to best attain this goal? From what I gather, I really need to buckle down in med school and make straight A's, impress teachers enough so that they know me and can write good letters of rec, do very well on my rotations later in med school, and do some sort of research while in med school. Is this correct?

Also, will where I go for med school affect my chances to get into an ortho residency?

Also, what do you all know of UF's ortho program? Is it top notch? I know about the university, but not much about their ortho program. Would it be suitable for ortho sports med?

I've never heard of an Othopod that doesn't do "sports medicine", unless they specialize through a fellowship. Hand is a fellowship, and you could also do hands by going the plastics route.