Orthopedic Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gudboydoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I want to apply for orthopedic surgery residency. The first year is intern year. I want to clarify, does intern year mean I have to apply to preliminary surgery first and then later apply for the ortho. Or do I have to apply to both preliminary and ortho at same time? Or do I just apply to ortho and they place me some where for intern? I'm so confused. I really appreciate your guidance. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

why was this thread moved now no one is replying. I wanted a lot of people to say it. Now its such a narrow category nobody is answering. Thanks a lot whoever moved it.

Members don't see this ad :)
why was this thread moved now no one is replying. I wanted a lot of people to say it. Now its such a narrow category nobody is answering. Thanks a lot whoever moved it.

Your intern year is just the first year of your orthopaedic residency. It's not a standard prelim year but you do rotate out of orthopaedics. There is some variation among programs but your year will likely have some of the following:

No more than 3 mos of Ortho
Medicine
SICU
Gen Surg Trauma
Vascular
Peds Gen Surg
Plastics
Rheum
Radiology
Anesthesia