Orthopedic Sugery Info

Started by Doc34
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Doc34

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am still doing undergrad but was curious about, orthopedic surgery. How mnay years does it take to finish? Does it invovle any sub-specialty within orthopedic surgery or is it just a sub-specialty of general surgery?
Also I think I am going to apply to D.O schools, does that ruin my chances on becoming on Ortho Surg.?
 
Originally posted by Doc34
I am still doing undergrad but was curious about, orthopedic surgery. How mnay years does it take to finish? Does it invovle any sub-specialty within orthopedic surgery or is it just a sub-specialty of general surgery?
Also I think I am going to apply to D.O schools, does that ruin my chances on becoming on Ortho Surg.?

ortho is a 5 year residency. It is not a subspecialty of general surgery but has its own specialty board.

Yes, attending a DO school will probably ruin your chances of becoming an orthopod. Attaining a residency is very competitive.
 
Yes, attending a DO school will probably ruin your chances of becoming an orthopod. Attaining a residency is very competitive.

I don't even know why I bother but here it goes. Orthopedic surgery is a very competitive residency to be placed in. HOWEVER, there are numerous DO's who match into great progams all across the country. Not to mention that there are a large number of osteopathic residencies that this jack@#$ can't even apply to. If you want to be an orthopod there is nothing holding you back, nothing.+pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A side note:

you can only take what you read here with a grain of salt, except for what I said.😉 Never trust any reply that has your entire question in quotations. He was the only one to reply and yet he quoted your entire question, probably not the brightest crayon in the box.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
 
Being a DO grad will make it more challenging to land an allopathic residency, unless you have a stellar app. Sorry to say it, but there is a stigma around DO schools. By many, they are considered better than FMG, but worse than MD. However, there are many osteopathic ortho residencies out there, so it doesn't hurt your chances too much for landing an ortho spot somewhere.
 
I agree with the previous poster. A DO is not a death-knell for someone with Ortho-aspirations but it isn't the optimal pathway either.

Still it can be done if one makes all the right moves:

1. Do alot of ortho research
2. Shadow and/or work with prominent 'pods = network
3. Rock your preclinical years
4. Rock your clinical years
5. Rock your boards

G'luck!
 
On the other hand, I know of several DO's who matched ortho who did not do that stellar on boards/preclinicals. A significant advantage to gaining a competitive DO spot (like orth, derm, whatever) is that your attitude/personality and motivation can win over the program director. NOw this is not to say that good grades and boards don't help. I'm just saying that it IS possible to overcome the odds if you want a spot bad enough. This is not as frequently the case in the allo slots.
 
A couple of things to consider when applying to Ortho as a DO. . .

Unlike other "competitive" programs that are difficult to match into, there are huge risks taken by DO applicants when they apply to ortho. Consider the fact that most DO Ortho programs are not "linked" with the internship year, and most DO ortho programs tend to fill the internship class with more interns interested in orhtopedics than there are residency positions to fill. This means that on day 1 of the internship, there will probably be 50 - 100% more interns (all very good on paper, hard workers, and well studied in orhto) than residency positions. The appliant must first apply to the internship, then hope to out perform (or outlast) the other orhto wanna-be's. Next, because the AOA match occurs prior to the AMA match, if you match with an AOA internship, you are taken out of the MD match. I guarantee if you are even remotely competitive for DO orthopeidics, you WILL match with at least one AOA internship that has an ortho residency to offer. I believe this is a huge factor in filling DO internships that otherwise would not fill. This is where life for the DO ortho "intern" becomes scary. If you are one of those who gets the internship, but does not match at your hospital's program, you can either apply to other orhto residency spots (but if you apply MD, you will have to repeat the internship, which is a very bitter thought and can cause funding problems ) or you can scramble for something in another specialty. When applying to other programs you are competing against other "in-house" interns who have worked their cans into the ground trying to out-do each other. If you cannot walk on water, you might as well save the $$, and vacation days (only get 10/year) instead of flying all over the upper midwest in hopes of getting that one spot. If you choose to pursue another field, consider that most of them are already filled with PGY1 people linked to the rest of the residency. Or if you go for something MD, remember that your internship will most likely not count. This really leaves finding an unfilled FP or IM DO residency to jump into.

Though it is true that there are options for DOs who want to do Ortho, every choice you make will close many other doors of opportunity. There is no way to put your "eggs" into more than "one basket." If you want ortho, you must put it all on the line, and go for it 100%, remembering that there is a real possibilty that after residency spots are finally given out, you may be left at the table, holding the check with nothing to show for it.

Also keep in mind that because programs are small (1-3 residents per year) DO ortho program directors are hesitiant to select interns who they do not know. This means you must use your elective time to go to audition rotations, and hope you look good for the 10 minutes of spotlight time you might get.

I got lucky. But I feel that I need a consult from GI now for my bleeding ulcer. I feel for those who gave it their all, and are now left out of the fun. Good Luck all you DOs who want to do Ortho!
 
THree points:


1) s42brown...do you have a chip on your shoulder or something?
....wow not a response I would've expected....very unfounded if you've read some of doc05's previous posts


2) if the kid has a choice b/w DO and MD why make it any tougher to get into ortho residency than it already is...go to the MD school...I think you are not giving him the best advice...

3) am I confused is this a DO message board?


your friend
 
dobonedoc:

Would you say the same goes for general surgery? I guess I am a little confused how the whole getting accepted into an internship for year one doesnt necessary mean that you will be spending the remainder of your training there for surgery. Also how can one find what programs have "linked" intership/residencies? Are these internships a traditional internship or are they geared more toward the O.R.?
 
DO_Surg,

You need to ask specific questions when looking at programs. General Surg is much better about linking their internship and residency programs together than many ortho programs.

Most of the internships offered where orhto spots are also available are traditional rotating internships.

Good Luck!