This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

younggrasshopper

Reaction score
I posted this earlier but I’ll try it here:

Hi there, I’m a plastic and reconstructive surgeon and given the complexity and volume of surgery I have been bringing to a hospital - I find myself wanting to bring a business plan to the hospital about my compensation. How can I discover the DRG disbursements for the patients I am caring for? I know the hospital tried to avoid using these value’s to negotiate contracts and often reverts to MGMA data but I think it’s very clear that would make me underpaid and another cog in the wRVU wheel. I want to show the administration what my worth is to the system by showing the DRG value I bring, otherwise my business will go elsewhere. How do I get these DRG values per each patient I treat?

Members don't see this ad.

I posted this earlier but I’ll try it here:

Hi there, I’m a plastic and reconstructive surgeon and given the complexity and volume of surgery I have been bringing to a hospital - I find myself wanting to bring a business plan to the hospital about my compensation. How can I discover the DRG disbursements for the patients I am caring for? I know the hospital tried to avoid using these value’s to negotiate contracts and often reverts to MGMA data but I think it’s very clear that would make me underpaid and another cog in the wRVU wheel. I want to show the administration what my worth is to the system by showing the DRG value I bring, otherwise my business will go elsewhere. How do I get these DRG values per each patient I treat?

Are you employed by the hospital or health system? Or are you private practice and happen to operate at that facility,?

Are you taking call for the hospital?

If you're hospital employed, then they can't just pay you whatever you or they want. They have to stay within reasonable parameters to be compliant. They can sometimes get around this to some degree by making you a division head or some other such title with additional compensation. Otherwise, you're most likely out of luck.
If you're not hospital employed, then you're only chance is a solid call stipend. Otherwise it's a kickback.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate everyones questions about my practice details and the compensation models out there. I understand all of that - but who do I approach to get the data on DRG payment for my patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate everyones questions about my practice details and the compensation models out there. I understand all of that - but who do I approach to get the data on DRG payment for my patients.

It's highly unlikely they'll give you this information. Why would they?

What the hospital collects is independent of the professional fee.

Unless you're very hooked in with the CEO or CFO, then you may get some information but they may not even have this information readily available on a granular level.

The reason I was asking about your practice is because it you're employed, they probably want you to operate at certain facilities.

It was alluded to by the other poster.
If you're private practice, they can't give you a kickback to operate there. They can give you some fake title and give you a stipend ( quality champion, director of something etc). They can give you a fair call stipend etc.

If the hospital is desperate to keep you around they will figure something out.

To agree with the above, there is no motivation for the hospital to provide this information.

First, it is not to their financial benefit.
Second, if the information was provided to a physician, federal prosecutors could use that to help prove a Stark violation.