Orthopedic Surgery Research Funding advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JayJay3916

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was lucky enough to get offers for research at some top institutions for the summer in ortho. But they are not paid and being a medical student in debt I am hesitant on taking these positions. Is there any funding out there? And will doing research in ortho help me get a ortho residency?
 
When you look at labs, make sure that they are interested in providing a good research experience rather than using students for free help.


I don't know about research funding for individuals, but the ortho research lab at my school receives funding from medical device companies, such as those that make joint replacements, to test the components in cadavers.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was lucky enough to get offers for research at some top institutions for the summer in ortho. But they are not paid and being a medical student in debt I am hesitant on taking these positions. Is there any funding out there? And will doing research in ortho help me get a ortho residency?

Why aren't you applying for the Orthopedic Fellowship at arguably the best orthopedic hospital in the U.S., the Hospital for Special Surgery? I have several friends who participated in this program last year, and they thoroughly enjoyed it. It's funded, too.
 
OREF was no longer offered this year, and I am planning to apply for that fellowship at HSS. Is it hard to get?