orthopedic surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daact

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those that are doing residency or are full-time orthopedic surgeons...what are your hours like? thank you

Members don't see this ad.

if lifestyle is your biggest concern...ortho probably isn't for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
its like the old line "if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it".

The hours can be a little rough. It should be better at most places now with the work-hour limitations. We are in compliance most of the time where I train. If you enjoy the work, you don't notice as much.

As an attending, there's a little more sunshine in your day! You have more power to control your life. Some people work hard when they're establishing their practice, then lighten the load later on. Some are workaholics at heart and never stop pounding the pavement, others work four days a week and take 3-week vacations at a time (nice!). Everyone takes call and patients keep breaking themselves at night. The business volume on call depends upon the hospital/environment you practice in. Most of the traumatologists where I work seem to put in more hours than the residents. I can't figure 'em out, but that's just how they are.

It's a great "job." I don't sweat the hours.

Can you comment on this subject as it applies to sports ortho?

PACtoDOC said:
I am a third-year student at TCOM in Fort Worth, Texas. I am also a physical therapist, where I practiced outpatient ortho. I am in the top 10 in my class, and my USMLE step 1 is a 218, COMLEX is a 619 (both within the top 12% or better in the U.S.) How do I stand competitively for orthopedic surgery in an AMA program, especially UTSW in Dallas, Texas? What are the hours like as an ortho resident, and/or how do they compare to what you know for IM residents and Cardiology fellows? I am very torn, but ultimately want to do wellness and prevention, and am trying to carve the best path to this. Also, is it 5 years plus an intern year, or 5 years including internship, and do I have these AOA/AMA issues in the state of Texas that I have read about for other states?

Thank you,
Michelle

A USMLE of 218 is not in the top 12% of scores. Your 2 digit might have been an 88, but that does not correspond to percentile... mean was 217 for the past 2 years, putting you just above the 50% percentile. I imagine being a DO will hurt your chances of matching allopathic ortho without heavy connections.

Just answer the f..king question!
doc05 said:
if lifestyle is your biggest concern...ortho probably isn't for you.

gj smoove said:
Just answer the f..king question!

Exactly. Why do people freak out over this and the "how much do you make" question?

Would you buy a car, just knowing the make & model & color? Hell no! You'd be a ***** not to ask, at the very least, how much, about the sound system, check on the insurance premiums, maintenance costs, & other bells & whistles.

Why should a job that you'll have for the next 20+ yrs get less consideration?

Thanks for the reply, Kilgorian

monchi said:
Exactly. Why do people freak out over this and the "how much do you make" question?

Would you buy a car, just knowing the make & model & color? Hell no! You'd be a ***** not to ask, at the very least, how much, about the sound system, check on the insurance premiums, maintenance costs, & other bells & whistles.

Why should a job that you'll have for the next 20+ yrs get less consideration?

Thanks for the reply, Kilgorian

I totally agree. Please just answer the questions. If you don't want to, just don't say anything.

Lakers4in5 said:
I totally agree. Please just answer the questions. If you don't want to, just don't say anything.

okay, I will answer it. As resident, I work between 60-100 hours a week depending on the rotation and the amount of call I take.

A rough guess of the attendings in my community would be they work between 50-110 depending on the sub-specialty and how long they have been at it.