Orthopedics after other surgical training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lotsofhotsauce

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I am a surgeon in another subspecialty one year into practice. During my fellowship I did a lot of clinical and research work that overlapped with orthopedics and I fell in love with the specialty and cases. I am seriously considering applying for an orthopedic residency position either through the match or if a PGY2 position opens.

On paper I am competitive for orthopedics, 265 step 2, high class rank at a well regarded medical school and 30+ publications, about 10 of them are in this niche area overlapping with ortho. From fellowship and this job I have some connections with academic orthopedic surgeons who would I think would be willing to write letters for me. I am 33 years old.

I know it’s a long shot but wanted to see if anyone had advice for finding open PGY2 spots or getting my application considered by PDs in the match since I obviously cannot complete a Sub-I.
 
So you’ve already done at least 6 years of PGY training?

Straight talk - don’t do it. Work, make money, enjoy life. The immediate opportunity cost of another 4+ years of training is AT LEAST $1.5 million (probably much more).

Financially it is a very bad idea.