Orthopedics/urology programs, when to take step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tadalafil09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions of when to take STEP 2CK if applying specifically to Orthopedics/urology/competitive surgical field? I did decent on step1. Do the program directors prefer to see the score? or it doesn't matter.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What is decent on step 1? The average is 234 ish for ortho.

In general, most people recommend taking Step 2 CK early (i.e. before your ERAS app) only if you need to beef up your app.

That is, if you didn't do great on Step 1 and want to show improvement, you'd want to study for Step 2 CK and knock it out of the park.

Now what you're interested in will determine what's an "adequate" score, as alluded to above by basupran.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just looked at your previous posts and saw your great Step 1 score. I don't know if I'd rush to take Step 2 CK - did someone at your school say you should?

If it's required by certain programs, that's one thing. But unless you're sure you can match it, why take the risk?

Just looked at your previous posts and saw your great Step 1 score. I don't know if I'd rush to take Step 2 CK - did someone at your school say you should?

If it's required by certain programs, that's one thing. But unless you're sure you can match it, why take the risk?

What time would you recommend?

I am in a similar position with a solid Step 1 score but my school mandates that I take Step 2 CK by January of 2009.

I was thinking about taking CK in December 2008 and hoping that was late enough in the event my score drops from Step 1 to Step 2. (And on a sidenote, because CS is just pass/fail, I was planning on knocking it out as soon as 3rd year ended.)

My advisor told me to take my CS late, I'm planning on doing ortho. Now I'm just trying to figure out how late. My friend who's an ortho intern told me just to take it in January or February. I think my school says we need to have our CK results in by match day. CS, I'm planning on taking a little bit earlier, but I'm still not sure when.