Orthostatics on CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbpiano1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For syncope, would we actually have to measure orthostatics or are supine and standing BP on vitals sheet?

Members don't see this ad.

For syncope, would we actually have to measure orthostatics or are supine and standing BP on vitals sheet?

If a scenario is such that you would absolutely want orthostatics in real life, you should probably do so in the CS. For example, if you have a patient who describes standing up/sitting up and getting dizzy/faint, you pretty much have to check. The caveat is that since you have to wait a couple of minutes between position before checking the next pressure, you eat up most of your time this way, so it better be THE main PE study you wanted. If you would only do it to be thorough, you probably want to skip it for time constraint reasons.

But no they generally won't give you orthostatics on the vitals sheet.

I had a scenario that definitely called for it on CS, but ended up running out of time. So, I told the SP that I would "have the nurse return to check your BP standing up and sitting down." Don't know whether that helped or not, but in the end, one physical exam maneuver isn't going to make or break you. I passed ;-)