Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

OS acceptance data?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by maxwell, Jun 20, 2008.

1. maxwell

I'm trying to compile my list of schools to apply and I scoured the data section on the aavmc/vmcas website, but I cant seem to find that chart or the data on out of state acceptance rates to the accredited vet schools. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pressmom

pressmom Third year!
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    If you go here (see below), you can see how many OOS they will have in their class on average. (Each school has a PDF.) But most schools are reluctant to release how many are given acceptance versus how many matriculate. Although you may be able to find some old data in a VMSAR or online at each of the school's individual websites.

http://www.aavmc.org/vmcas/college_requirement.htm

Good luck!

4. LVT2DVM

LVT2DVM UGA-CVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    The chart you thinking of (I assume) is the one that was posted in the sticky "What schools should I apply to?" But the chart went missing a while back due a server issue. I emailed David594 (the person who orginally posted the chart), to see if he could repost it, and he said that he was in the process of updating it and would repost it when he was done. But I havent seen it yet?

5. Moonpaw

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Is this the chart you guys are talking about?

Attached Files:

6. LVT2DVM

LVT2DVM UGA-CVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    This chart is good, but the one I was talking about, broke down the number of OS applicants, the number of OS applicants accepted and the percentage of OS applicants accepted for each school. It was great bc it gave an idea of how many people are actually accepted compared to how many apply. Big difference from just looking at how many seats are available. I'll have to pm david594 and ask how the updates going?

7. VAgirl

VAgirl UC Davis SVM c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Really? I know David's chart gave # of total seats vs # of OOS seats and calculated a percentage, but I didn't think it had info on # applied vs accepted. I thought I remembered someone pointing out that the %s were actually off, as many schools offer admission to 2-3x the number of OOS students as they have seats for, so that makes the calculation actually much more favorable. Maybe I'm remembering a different spreadsheet?

EDIT: FWIW, here's the link to this kind of info from last year for:
    UC Davis: http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/studentprograms/class_2012/statistics_2012.pdf
    K-State: http://www.vet.ksu.edu/admit/admit_stats.htm
    UW-Madison: http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/Applicant_Statistics.126.1.html (they initially only accept the exact # of OOS students for whom they have seats, and then fill off a waiting list)

#6 VAgirl, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  8. LVT2DVM

LVT2DVM UGA-CVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    You may be right Vagirl. I was recalling the details of what it looked like from my memory, which is not so good. Perhaps that is why (percentage were off) he hasnt reposted it. O, well.

9. david594

david594 The-OSU CVM c/o 2013
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    [​IMG]

The computer I had it hosted on died... So this one is hosted on SDN and with any luck should be up as long as this site is. Its using the most current published data(which is roughly 1 year old now).

The originall error was that I had the charted listed as #applied and #accepted, when its should have been the #applied and # admitted. As others noted that the # accepted would be much higher than # admitted as many will have choosen other schools.

10. Moonpaw

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Thanks for posting that! It looks really helpful!

And do you mean "accepted" to mean the number that were offered admission, and "admitted" to be the number that actually chose to attend that school? If that's the case, then i think # accepted would be more helpful, because I would want to know what my chances are of getting in, not of actually going.

11. david594

david594 The-OSU CVM c/o 2013
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    # accepted would be much more helpful, but that data isn't readily available. These numbers are from the green book and aavmc website, just gathered together to give a little more perspective.

12. runnerDC

runnerDC Tufts - class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    FYI- you can find the number admitted (i.e "offers made") for some schools (which is going to look quite different from # of seats b/c all schools overadmit to varying extents). For example, U Minn publishes these statistics in their AVMA Self-Study Report; look at page 31 of the following:
    http://www.cvm.umn.edu/img/assets/8965/AVMA%20Report.pdf

You're right that this number isn't going to be readily available, if at all, for most schools. But if you can get your hands on any schools' Self-Study reports to the AVMA, you're likely to find it.

Also, the AAVMC collects *a lot* more data for their Comparative Data Report than the few tables they publish on their website. Look at http://www.aavmc.org/committees_activities/documents/2006CDRSurvey_000.pdf
    to see what they collect from schools, and feel free to call/email AAVMC to request what you're interested in. They'll send you most of what they collect, although may withhold some of the financial-related stuff.

Good luck!

13. RazorDoc2010

RazorDoc2010 Mizzou 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    FWIW, Missouri is now accepting 20 OOS applicants (so 25% of the class). This is effective starting with C/O 2012.

14. Lab Man

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Here's more interesting data: http://www.aavmc.org/students_admissions/statistics.htm If you click on "student statistics->2007->geographic origin of DVM students," it lists the number of students admitted from each state at each school.

The other statistics on the site are interesting, too.

15. tastrophe

tastrophe NCSU c/o 2013
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    That is extremely interesting - is there really that big a discrepancy between the number of OOS seats and the number of OOS students a school actually accepts? Ie, for IA state, the chart from earlier says they admit 28 OOS students, but this data indicates 63 admitted??

16. nyanko

nyanko 360noscope squidkid
    Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, looking at it logically, the school wants to fill those 28 OOS seats with OOS people. A lot of people applying to Iowa OOS probably applied to their IS if they have one and also to other OOS schools, and a lot of their top choices probably got into other schools as well and are going to them instead for various reasons, so they overadmit by a little bit and then make a waitlist and end up having to go down it a good amount. So when you think about it it makes perfect sense.