OSCE advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EzioAuditore 357

Reaction score
Hey guys,

From the UK- just got news that I passed my OSCE but once by a zinch. This has got me thinking that I need to make majorimprovements.

As recommended by seniors, I had followed OSCEBank templates. I had used the template without missing a single thing (andobviously adapting it to the scenario given) but more often than not I got an average mark for the Clinical section [which is the history taking, etc]. In fact, I had failed one of the sections (which was a fever in a traveller hx)- this was disappointing because Ihad done all the important diffferentials for this scenario and also did a very extensive travel history- as per OSCEBank.

This has got me really concerned because OSCEBank is highly recommended but it has failed me (in a sense). I don't know whatother resources are available- I tried OSCEStop but the marking schemes are highly disappointing

This is a seriously worried medical student that would appreciate any advice with OSCE

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

practice with your friends/classmates. The old saying is you don't get better you just get more consistent. You will get more comfortable getting the history with time and practice. You also might really like the way someone else asks a question or approached a topic which you can use for yourself moving forward.

We all started where you are and with a little work I think you will do just fine.

practice with your friends/classmates. The old saying is you don't get better you just get more consistent. You will get more comfortable getting the history with time and practice. You also might really like the way someone else asks a question or approached a topic which you can use for yourself moving forward.

We all started where you are and with a little work I think you will do just fine.
that is a very fair point which will definitely help me with the pt interaction component of each osce station

i wondered if you could recommend any resources for getting an idea of what sort of questions to ask- because in some stations i was told i only got average for the history taking component which doesn’t make sense to me because I had said the OSCEBank template without missing any points (obviously adapting to the scenario)

are there any resources you would recommend

Members don't see this ad :)
i wondered if you could recommend any resources for getting an idea of what sort of questions to ask- because in some stations i was told i only got average for the history taking component which doesn’t make sense to me because I had said the OSCEBank template without missing any points (obviously adapting to the scenario)
Maybe the scripts in OSCEbank get you to "average" as a score. What have your professors suggested? After all, they are the ones scoring you.

Hey, that's very fair

Unfortunately, they are unwilling to provide me more details at the present time saying to come back again next year for advice when they have more time- but I honestly don't think they'll be of much help- just from experiences that others have had with them too in the past!

Just wondered if you have any resources you could recommend and/or recommend any where I can find tutors for OSCE- as it is going to be done online, I'm sure it doesn't matter where they are from

Any bit of advice is much appreciated- since our start at uni, med school has been incredibly unhelpful and I have no one else to turn to!

Most of the internet advice just says practice, but you sound like you need focused practice.

Going completely blind to what your issues are or the format of your test:

You say that following other guidance you seemed to do what is sufficiently expected. Are you appropriately empathetic? Do you take the optimal amount of time? Is your body communication showing your receptiveness and focus?

I would ask for help from your senior students and administrators to guide you on the items you could be scored on. Focus on timing and vocal clarity for sure.

Most of the internet advice just says practice, but you sound like you need focused practice.

Going completely blind to what your issues are or the format of your test:

You say that following other guidance you seemed to do what is sufficiently expected. Are you appropriately empathetic? Do you take the optimal amount of time? Is your body communication showing your receptiveness and focus?

I would ask for help from your senior students and administrators to guide you on the items you could be scored on. Focus on timing and vocal clarity for sure.
Hey, thanks a lot for your response.

I did notice that at particular parts of the history stations (particularly when I am trying to narrow down the differentials), I tend to go in a rapid fire manner. The examiners have noted that, as a consequence, I am not "Actively listening"- however, I disagree with them because I get enough information to give the appropriate differentials at the end (and was always graded highly for this section). But, perception is perception

I frankly don't know how to slow down because if you slow down too much you can't get through the entire differential list. This is more particularly evident with mental health histories where you are required to do multiple components (like self harm and suicide risk harm).

I would appreciate any advice you may have in this regard

Thank you for all the replies guy. You are only few people in multiple forums I have posted where I was able to get some form of response

Cheers :)