Osmosis ( not audio osmosis) app and website for med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjs010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://www.osmosis.org/

anyone know anything about this? I did a search and it yielded nothing. you can join for free, but they also have packs of questions which aren't really that expensive. They have a M1 and 2 pack, a step pack, and something else. I was wondering if anyone would recommend this for studying and/or Step 1 prep. It was created by JHU med students a few years back..I don't know why it isn't more advertized. I just happened upon it.

It also has a mobile app. A lot of the answers have video explanations as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Its not good. Questions are waaay to easy for board prep.

https://www.osmosis.org/

anyone know anything about this? I did a search and it yielded nothing. you can join for free, but they also have packs of questions which aren't really that expensive. They have a M1 and 2 pack, a step pack, and something else. I was wondering if anyone would recommend this for studying and/or Step 1 prep. It was created by JHU med students a few years back..I don't know why it isn't more advertized. I just happened upon it.

It also has a mobile app. A lot of the answers have video explanations as well.

Waste of money and time. Firecracker is the only thing you should even remotely consider outside of the typical recommended resources.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Waste of money and time. Firecracker is the only thing you should even remotely consider outside of the typical recommended resources.

Agreed.

Get on that Firecracker.

Osmosis is a solid product and company. I'm a 4th year and have used Osmosis questions for review. I have looked into the company and its team extensively. A lot of their questions come from ACP/MKSAP so they're legit. They also have a Step 1 pack for all subject areas. Not sure what company the guys above are talking about.

So it's horrible and it's awesome? Fantastic. Lol

There also seems to be one or two people at every school promoting it. Since you have to put in your .edu to download the app, I have a feeling that they are employing medical students to promote it and compensating them based off of how many of their classmates download it.

Just a theory.

Edit: also, the M4 (who took boards 2 years ago) promoting a step 1 study tool that launched ~8 months ago seems a bit suspect.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There also seems to be one or two people at every school promoting it. Since you have to put in your .edu to download the app, I have a feeling that they are employing medical students to promote it and compensating them based off of how many of their classmates download it.

Just a theory.

Edit: also, the M4 (who took boards 2 years ago) promoting a step 1 study tool that launched ~8 months ago seems a bit suspect.
That is a good point. Ohare, you have some explaining to do lol

So it's horrible and it's awesome? Fantastic. Lol

It could be awesome, but I wouldn't want to play guinea pig when step 1 (i.e. Your career options) is on the line.

I'm a little late to this thread but wanted to resuscitate it because it needs to be more accurate. Osmosis has received grants from organizations including the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to make an awesome question bank, which we've done over the past year by collaborating with 150 med students, residents, and faculty. On top of that the tech is pretty awesome - just see for yourself at www.osmosis.org. I'm happy to answer any questions and be very transparent about this.

Sounds.....good?? I didn't go to the website but I agree that it is hard for time pressed medical students to deviate from the big guys (Pathoma, UWorld, FA) when these have been rocks for past medical board preparations.

Need med students telling me this thing is awesome, not someone profiting from it.

By all means, try it out yourself and form your own conclusions. Break out of the herd, live a little! How would new things get noticed if all people thought the same exact way? If you'd still like the social proof before trying it out, check out the reviews (5/5)
I'll live a little, but not when my board scores on on the line. ;)

Sounds like it's a resource for after Step 1 that recently branched into Step 1 prep. It might be great in the future, it might not. Personally I'd give it a couple years. Even Pathoma, DIT, Gunnertraining (now called Firecracker), etc. took some time before they became essential/quality Step 1 resources.

For example, Osmosis performs full text extraction on your course documents and calendar... This text extraction/machine learning also helps us create a visual timeline of whenever you've learned about something.

Tell us more about the app's permissions and your privacy policy.

Hum. He disappeared off this thread. . .

The company behaves like this pretty often.

They have employees write 5 star reviews in the app store, then once real users write honest 1-3 star reviews and bring the rating down, they update the app under the guise of "bug fixes" so that they can have a clean slate of planted reviews again.

Read the reviews. You will see terminology that is almost word for word off of the company website.

Whoops, didn't see the reply here and also have been talking to SDN admins to ensure all my posts are kosher. I'm allowed to comment on this because it's a direct question about our platform. Here is our privacy policy: https://www.osmosis.org/privacy. Any documents/curricular calendar material uploaded to Osmosis are kept private, and are only accessible by you and your classmates.

We promote the creation of Creative Commons-licensed questions & flashcards to improve the potential bank of open educational resources (http://www.rwjf.org/en/culture-of-health/2014/05/another_step_toward.html). Please feel free to message me with any more questions. Thanks!