osmotic pressure

Started by ems5184
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ems5184

Denist (future)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you have a solution of 1 L of H2O with 234 g of NaCl, what is the osmotic pressure at STP? (R = 0.1 L atm/mol K)

I set it up using Pi = MRT, but I keep getting 109.2 atm, and the answer topscore gives is 218.4 atm (exactly double), anyone know why this is correct?
 
ems5184 said:
If you have a solution of 1 L of H2O with 234 g of NaCl, what is the osmotic pressure at STP? (R = 0.1 L atm/mol K)

I set it up using Pi = MRT, but I keep getting 109.2 atm, and the answer topscore gives is 218.4 atm (exactly double), anyone know why this is correct?

yeah, because the equation is actually pi = MRTi where i stands for the number of ions that compund forms in an aqueous soln. nacl converts to Na+ and Cl-. now i = 2
 
For some reasons, I am getting 119.2 instead of 109.2. Can someone tell me where I went wrong in solving this problem.
Thanks.