1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

osteo/allo Em residency

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by IdontTakeCall, Dec 2, 2008.

1. IdontTakeCall

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So i spoke with the residency director of one of the D.O. em residency programs and he said that the AOA changed em residencies from 3 years to 4 years, thus making osteopathic em residencies a year longer than allopathic ones. has anyone else heard anything like this? the allo ones im looking at are all 3 years...so is it only the osteo ones that are now 4 and if so is it all of them?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Aloha Kid

Aloha Kid Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yes, you are right. All DO EM residencies are 4 years. What you don't know is that MANY allopathic residencies are 4 years as well. The trend seems to be 4 year residencies.

3. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The ratio of 3 versus 4 year allopathic programs is roughly 3:1:

http://www.emra.org/emra_articles.aspx?id=29472

"As of January 2006, there are 102 PGY 1 - 3 programs, 16 PGY 2 - 4 programs, and 19 PGY 1 - 4 programs accredited by the ACGME. There are also five-year combined programs in Emergency medicine/Pediatrics and Emergency medicine/Internal medicine. Additionally, the American Osteopathic Association has accredited 33 Osteopathic Emergency medicine residencies, which require 4 years of postgraduate training (PGY 2 - 4 after a separate Osteopathic internship)."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 tkim, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  4. LadyGrey

LadyGrey Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The only "change" in DO residencies is that in EM (and many, many others) it's no longer a one year rotating internship and then a three year residency -- the internship year is part of the EM residency and is EM-focused. (Though some programs maintain more of the feel of traditional rotating year than others). So tkim's quote is out of date wrt osteopathic EM -- this changed pretty recently.

The 3-vs-4 debate is a tough one, with (it seems to me at this point) good arguments on both sides. I've applied to and am interviewing at about equal numbers of each; although the 3 years may predominate overall, there's some geographical variation. My general sense, having interviewed at some of each so far, is that the 4-year programs claim to be the better route to academia; if you have any inclinations that way and do a 3-year, you're "required" to do a fellowship to be taken seriously.

5. OP
    OP
    IdontTakeCall

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    man that sucks an extra year of making no money is no fun. I was looking forward to only having to commit 3 years to 65 hour weeks at 40k. :(