Osteo Ortho - Weird Level 2 score question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

World'sMostGiantDoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Genuine question here from a DO currently auditioning for Ortho. I wanted to see if anyone could provide some insight on how these scores would be viewed moving forward. I'm applying AOA.

On Comlex level I, I got a 634. Then a 230 on USMLE Step 1.

However, on USMLE Step 2, I got a 259. Then turned around and got a 597 on Comlex Level 2.

I'm not sure what went wrong there. I went down almost 30 points on comlex, but made a 30 point jump on step. Any idea how this would impact my application?

Members don't see this ad.

It light come up in an interview so be prepared to answer why your score dropped,, but given you have an increase in usmle and basically consistent COMLEX I wouldn't worry about it.

If you do well in your auditions, get along with the residents, know your ortho, you'll get a DO spot.

Reactions: 1 user
It light come up in an interview so be prepared to answer why your score dropped,, but given you have an increase in usmle and basically consistent COMLEX I wouldn't worry about it.

If you do well in your auditions, get along with the residents, know your ortho, you'll get a DO spot.

Thank you for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Genuine question here from a DO currently auditioning for Ortho. I wanted to see if anyone could provide some insight on how these scores would be viewed moving forward. I'm applying AOA.

On Comlex level I, I got a 634. Then a 230 on USMLE Step 1.

However, on USMLE Step 2, I got a 259. Then turned around and got a 597 on Comlex Level 2.

I'm not sure what went wrong there. I went down almost 30 points on comlex, but made a 30 point jump on step. Any idea how this would impact my application?
I'm auditioning now as well so I don't definitively know where you stand but just an FYI the COMLEX score averages for our year has risen by like 30-40. What this means is there are a lot more 700 and 800s in the applicant pool now. Half the students at my last audition had above 700 for level 1 and that's just from the people who I know of. You better have a realistic backup plan.

I'm auditioning now as well so I don't definitively know where you stand but just an FYI the COMLEX score averages for our year has risen by like 30-40. What this means is there are a lot more 700 and 800s in the applicant pool now. Half the students at my last audition had above 700 for level 1 and that's just from the people who I know of. You better have a realistic backup plan.

600+ gets you in the door. After that, it's up to you on the audition rotation. I recall maybe one time we used board scores to determine who got our last interview spot out of two people. A couple years ago, our interviewees had a range of 520ish-900ish, with an avg of 640ish. I rarely/never used board scores to make my rank list. After interviews, you get a solid top 5, solid bot 5, and everyone else in the middle.

Reactions: 1 user