Osteo ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the average Comlex scores are now for AOA ortho slots? Can't find many updated sources.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know what the average Comlex scores are now for AOA ortho slots? Can't find many updated sources.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This kind of data has never been published, as far as I know. Just programs that favor higher boards and general ideas of some cut offs.

This kind of data has never been published, as far as I know. Just programs that favor higher boards and general ideas of some cut offs.
Thats kinda what I figured. It would be cool though if people would post what their board scores were (or a range to keep anonymous) so that we kinda have an idea. I would like to know if the average is like 600...or are we talking more like 700...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats kinda what I figured. It would be cool though if people would post what their board scores were (or a range to keep anonymous) so that we kinda have an idea. I would like to know if the average is like 600...or are we talking more like 700...
No program has this kind of information though, not even ACGME. While it might help ease some anxiety, I honestly don't think it's that useful for AOA programs anyway. Its main function is to pass the first screen of getting auditions. Then it's about being stellar on those, getting solid letters and preparing for/executing your interviews well.

Edit: as far as people who matched, I've sent DMs to people in the past and they freely shared their stats. It's more work but it's probably the best way to go about it.

http://com.msu.edu/Students/Career_Guidance/DO_GME_match_2014.pdf

It was about 600 for the 2014 match. Can only assume it has gone up since then. The older posts about which programs want higher boards are still pretty accurate.

If you go to the AACOM website this data is supposed to be updated in 'Fall 2017' with 2016 data, so I'd keep a look out. Its probably safe to say the average has probably creeped up somewhere between 625-650, but a lot of programs still go after favorites versus the boards destroyers so its hard to tell what is most important on the AOA side.

Reactions: 1 user
Still very program specific!

For programs where boards are less of a big deal, I would say that scores only matter if your high (>700ish) or low (<575ish). Big range, i know but these are ballpark numbers.

If you're low, you could potentially overcome by killing your away rotation but they will always come up when comparing you to someone who performed similarly during rotation. If you're high, you will get interviews just based on your score.

Still very program specific!

For programs where boards are less of a big deal, I would say that scores only matter if your high (>700ish) or low (<575ish). Big range, i know but these are ballpark numbers.

If you're low, you could potentially overcome by killing your away rotation but they will always come up when comparing you to someone who performed similarly during rotation. If you're high, you will get interviews just based on your score.

Agree with this statement. Once your are getting below 575 it definitely gets much harder, every program has their own preference however. Some programs screen by score or screen for you to get audition. If you do get an audition and your score is on the lower side then just work hard and set yourself apart during the rotation.