1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Osteomyelitis

Discussion in 'Step I' started by monet, Apr 27, 2004.

1. monet

monet Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a question about Osteomyelitis....
    Staph aureus occurs in children and IV drug users.
    Pseudomonas may be caused by wounds piercing through the shoe.

but Kaplan's notes say Pseudomonas is the cause of IV drug users and diabetics.

What is correct? :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GiJoe

GiJoe Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

all 3 from what I understand. for diabetics, it might be multiple organisms including pseudomonas

4. mountaindew2006

mountaindew2006 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey there....actually my prof actually stated that pseudomonas osteomyelitis occurs in immuno comped pts, DM pts, and IV drug users, hence agreeing with kaplan i suppose..

I believe in IVDU staph aureus is what causes acute infective endocarditis, not osteomyelitis.

yah i just confirmed with boards and wards by ayala and it stated what i just wrote as well

later

5. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    S.aureus is the most common cause, while in sicklers salmonella is (due to asplenia, I presume).

6. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Salmonella definitely MC in sicklers, and Staph MC otherwise. Staph also causes infective endocarditis in IVDU.

7. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

Both pseudomonas and staph osteomyelitis are common and can occur with any skin puncture/needle wound.

8. GiJoe

GiJoe Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what causes infective endocarditis in diabetics/immunocompromised? are they a special case like in osteomyelitis? ( i had a question like this on the comprehensive nbme i took today)

9. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

The answer was probably staph aureus. Diabetics and immunocompromised patients usually only get endocarditis when they are hospitalized and have lines placed in them. Anatomical valvular abnormalities is actually a more signficant risk factor for developing endocarditis then immunocompromisation is though.

10. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Out of curiosity, could candiasis be a cause of endocarditis in diabetics? I know that they are susceptible to mucormycoses, so I guess it might be reasonable that they could develop a systemic mycosis and subsequent endocarditis. I read some where that it can cause it in IVD users. Anyone have any practical knowledge regarding this (not just book learnin'!)

11. Solace

Solace Member
    7+ Year Member

While studying for the USMLE, I wouldn't even want to be thrown off by the practical knowledge. I will get to that once this is out of the way. The correct letter to click on is the taeget...

S. Aureus is the most common for acute endocarditis and C. Albicans tends to infect prostethic valves and is the most common cause of infective endocarditis, according to my Cardio prof in a lecture I viewed last week. It is consistent with the books I am using to study.

12. Solace

Solace Member
    7+ Year Member

While studying for the USMLE, I wouldn't even want to be thrown off by the practical knowledge. I will get to that once this is out of the way. The correct letter to click on is the taeget...

S. Aureus is the most common for acute endocarditis and C. Albicans tends to infect prostethic valves and is the most common cause of infective endocarditis, according to my Cardio prof, a cardiologist, in a lecture I viewed last week.

13. BamaFlip

BamaFlip Member
    10+ Year Member

"but Kaplan's notes say Pseudomonas is the cause of IV drug users and diabetics"

Just FYI. Pseudomonas commonly exists in tap water and tap water is a common medium by which IV drug users use to dilute. Perhaps they should use Evian, Dasani, etc... :)

14. Gauss

Gauss Damnit Jim!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    AS far as I know,
    S Aureus is the most common cause for EVERYONE
    In Sicklers salmonella is your next best bet
    Pseudomonas in puncture wounds through shoes and for similar foot reasons in diabetics
    Pseudomonas is also common in IV drug users because they use poor sanitary conditions to clean their needles, i.e. clean their needles in puddles where pseudomonas is rampant.

Pseudomonas and serratia endocarditis are seen in IV users.
    I have never seen fungal endocarditis, but apparently occurs post open heart surgery

Common board questions: viridans group streptococcal infection is more common after dental procedures, group D enterococci are seen more often after lower bowel or genitourinary manipulation.

15. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For sicklers (this has been confirmed) salmonella is more common than staph for osteomyelitis...for everyone else it is Staph.

16. Harrie

Harrie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I've read both, but...

in real life Staph aureus is most common cause of osteomyelitis for everyone, but Salmonella is also common for sicklers.

in a Step I question, probably any sickler with osteo will have Salmonella. Gotta love those buzzwords.

17. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    this is the approach i would take.

18. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    confirmed by whom?