Osteopathic Continuous Certification Modules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just started this today since I am working a locum job, getting paid and there are no patients today. I personally would be so super pissed if I had to pay for these myself. Just a bunch of pre-test questions about how you feel about your patient's followed by a powerpoint of more of the same. To be continued........

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a new ACOFP thing? The ABFM has been milking extra fees for "maintenance of certification" for a while now. The feedback has been largely that these are useless. I guess its only fair that ACOFP diplomats have to equally suffer :)

Yes, you have to have 2 modules done by the time your board certification has to be renewed. This is on top of the board renew exam and the OMM practical exam at the ACOFP conference. It just seems super excessive and stupid

Members don't see this ad :)
Updating on the modules. I'm doing the communication module since I don't have a FP clinic. There are 7 lessons in the module about communicating with patients. It's all powerpoint and then you have to answer a single question at the end how you will utilize what you have learned in your practice or give an example of how you have already implemented that specific communication skill. blah. blah. The kicker is that after lesson 4 you have to have 20 patient surveys where they go online and comment on your communication skills as a physician. You have to have all the surveys in before they let you advance past lesson 7. The other thing is that it is set up where you can't just do all the lessons. Most have a 24 hr waiting period from the end of one lesson before you are allowed to start the next one. It is a huge waste of time and it makes you wait longer than you want to. I would rather just get it all done. Nope, not in this lifetime. Sucks............

Last edited:
Updating on the modules. I'm doing the communication module since I don't have a FP clinic. There are 7 lessons in the module about communicating with patients. It's all powerpoint and then you have to answer a single question at the end how you will utilize what you have learned in your practice or give an example of how you have already implemented that specific communication skill. blah. blah. The kicker is that after lesson 4 you have to have 20 patient surveys where they go online and comment on your communication skills as a physician. You have to have all the surveys in before they let you advance past lesson 7. The other thing is that it is set up where you can't just do all the lessons. Most have a 24 waiting period from the end of one lesson before you are allowed to start the next one. It is a huge waste of time and it makes you wait longer than you want to. I would rather just get it all done. Nope, not in this lifetime. Sucks............

thanks for the update !

Update: I'm working on the second module: Cultural Competency. Apparently there is a national movement to be more aware of the diversity of cultures in the US and how doctors are perceived by those cultures and how that affects care.

This module has cases that a culturally significant whether it be language barriers or races, etc. You are asked questions about how you feel about specific aspects of the case and how you would approach the differences in order to better care for the patient. There are some pre-tests and comment sections at the end of each modules for professional feedback. This module is not hard, just time consuming.

I did not do the HTN, DM type modules since I don't do primary care and don't have access to those types of charts to answer those questions and many of the modules require a number of actual patient feedback questionaires to be filed on-line before you can proceed to the next module.

Would be helpful to have a degree in sociology or psychology to do these. Sigh......

Last edited: