Osteopathic Dermatology Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PublicHealth

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about these? How competitive are they? Are they only open to DO's?

Members don't see this ad.

Not interested in derm so I can't comment on how they compare with MD derm programs.

They are open to DO's only.

They are highly competitive (from what I understand) but they can be attained. A friend of mine from AZCOM attained a position recently. He did a ton of osteopathic derm rotations, got his name out there, got letters from people who count, and did research.

Wow, that's great. Was this person in your class (ms4)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if DOs who complete osteopathic dermatology residencies practice dermatology differently compared to DOs/MDs who complete allopathic dermatology residencies?

If you apply to osteopathic residencies, you must do so during your internship year (at least). I did 2 yrs of IM (after AZCOM)before starting my residency this year. Since you apply the year before residency, you cannot even apply during MS4. I know there are a few people interested in Derm from your class but I would question anyone who claims they have gotten a position. See the following forum for any ?s.
www.doctorsbookmark.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

It is indeed a linked internship/residency. I think there are 2 linked derm osteo programs, and that young man nailed one of them.

Its legit, 2 legit to quit.

The osteopathic dermatologist that I met was incredibly smart and knew his medicine extremely well. As far as I can tell there is no discernable difference in the way the 2 degrees differ in diagnosing and treating dermatologic conditions.

I did not realize this was the case- guess you learn something new every day....thank you

VentdependenT,
Congrats on the Derm Residency. Can you tell me how well you did in school and on the boards. How did you get such a hard residency. WHat did it take? Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by Mixmaster
VentdependenT,
Congrats on the Derm Residency. Can you tell me how well you did in school and on the boards. How did you get such a hard residency. WHat did it take? Thanks for your help!

He's going to be a GAS passer, not a derm dude.