Osteopathic EM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't know if this helps, but I just came from an audition there in September and got an invite a day or two ago.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I appreciate it but I tend to think that's when everyone got one....I emailed Debie and she said the audition may play a role in an invite but some people get it before. I guess it wouldnt matter other than the fact I'm taking 2 weeks out of my vacation time to do the audition :/ I just emailed the PD to reexpress my interest and let him know I'm auditioning. I guess I'll still do it I just hope I'm not giving up my vacation for nothing. :-/

Members don't see this ad.

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
ProMedica Monroe - Monroe, MI
Southeastern Health - Lumberton, NC
Inspira Health Network Program - Vineland, NJ
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
Doctors Hospital - Columbus, OH
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
Lakeland Health- St Joseph, MI
Adena Health Systems - Chillicothe, OH
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Ohio Valley- Wheeling, WV
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
Kent Hospital - Warwick, RI
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
McLaren Oakland - Pontiac, MI
Memorial Hospital - York, PA
Orange Regional - Middletown, NY
Rowan Kennedy - Stratford, NJ
Mercy Health - Muskegon, MI
Beaumont-Farmington (Formerly Botsford) - Farmington Hills, Mi
Einstein - Philadelphia, PA
Good Samaritan - West Islip, NY
Beaumont Oakwood - Trenton, MI
UH Regional Hospital - Richmond Heights, OH
Cape Fear Valley - Fayetteville, NC
Henry Ford Wyandotte - Wyandotte, MI
Desert Regional Medical Center - Palm Springs, CA
Henry Ford Allegiance - Jackson, MI
Genesys - Grand Blanc, MI

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
Memorial Hospital - Marietta, OH

Members don't see this ad :)
Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
St. Elizabeth's- Boardman, OH

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
McLaren Macomb - Mount Clemens, MI

Hey Everyone,

How hard would it be to switch from A categorical FM/psych specialty to EM after intern year?

Hey Everyone,

How hard would it be to switch from A categorical FM/psych specialty to EM after intern year?

I'll bite. Hard. Not very many spots open for EM like that. You'd need someone to leave their program which is rare. If you want EM, just go for EM. That'll give you your best chance. That route is like a 1% chance.

I disagree, not sure what experience or sources FirefighterDoc is going by. Not the appropriate thread, but it is not that hard. I switched after 2 years of surgery and got plenty of interviews, ultimately signing to an osteopathic EM program outside the match in December (after deciding to switch in October.) You will have to redo some time, but will likely get some credit for rotations already completed. Just apply like the MS4's to any program. You can also look for vacancies in current programs on SAEM.org, though most, not all, will require some previous EM training.

Does anyone know when Lehigh is sending out interview invites?

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
St. John Providence Health System - Madison Heights, MI

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
Lehigh Valley - Bethlehem, PA

I disagree, not sure what experience or sources FirefighterDoc is going by. Not the appropriate thread, but it is not that hard. I switched after 2 years of surgery and got plenty of interviews, ultimately signing to an osteopathic EM program outside the match in December (after deciding to switch in October.) You will have to redo some time, but will likely get some credit for rotations already completed. Just apply like the MS4's to any program. You can also look for vacancies in current programs on SAEM.org, though most, not all, will require some previous EM training.

I'm sorry if I gave any misinformation, that was not my intent. That is just what I've heard through perusing these forums. Anecdotally I have met one person who did this. Thank you for clarifying Kuba.

Members don't see this ad :)
Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
Integris SW Medical Center - Oklahoma City, OK

so the people who are getting 15> interviews are you planning on going to them all or are you denying them? Cause I know a lot of people who haven't gotten an interview yet. Are you all hoarding them? Not trying to be an ass. But I have gotten a few and I've been denying the ones I don't want to go to, to give others a chance. Just wondering if everyone else is doing the same

so the people who are getting 15> interviews are you planning on going to them all or are you denying them? Cause I know a lot of people who haven't gotten an interview yet. Are you all hoarding them? Not trying to be an ass. But I have gotten a few and I've been denying the ones I don't want to go to, to give others a chance. Just wondering if everyone else is doing the same
Doing the same

Doing the same. You do need to realize though that EM has become extremely competitive. Multiple PD's on the interview trail have told me applications are increased by about 100-150 applications from last year. This is also true on the allopathic side so your going to see a lot of the DO candidates holding on to the osteopathic interviews until later in the year when the allopathic programs see the allopathic students cancel and open up interviews for these students. This will then trickle down on the osteopathic side.

Reactions: 1 users

This "interview hoarding' is a big problem in EM. I understand why students do it, and I can't blame them, but it definitely hurts other students, as well as the programs, who may wind up interviewing a large portion of students who truly have no interest in the program and are just using it as a "safety". From a program standpoint, you just have to be smart and know your competitiveness. We deny interviews to top tier candidates unless they rotated with us or have a local connection. When you get 600 applicatoins for only 80-100 interview spots, you have to filter people out, but you also don't want to waste spots on people that have no true interest.

Reactions: 1 user
This "interview hoarding' is a big problem in EM. I understand why students do it, and I can't blame them, but it definitely hurts other students, as well as the programs, who may wind up interviewing a large portion of students who truly have no interest in the program and are just using it as a "safety". From a program standpoint, you just have to be smart and know your competitiveness. We deny interviews to top tier candidates unless they rotated with us or have a local connection. When you get 600 applicatoins for only 80-100 interview spots, you have to filter people out, but you also don't want to waste spots on people that have no true interest.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Hey gameremdoc, can you comment on interviewing students that didn't audition at your institution? I've found that a few interviews really surprised me and are at the top of ,y list been I didn't audition there. How do you keep fresh in a PDs mind?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hey gameremdoc, can you comment on interviewing students that didn't audition at your institution? I've found that a few interviews really surprised me and are at the top of ,y list been I didn't audition there. How do you keep fresh in a PDs mind?

There are almost 200 ACGME EM programs, and like 60 AOA programs. There are of course some overlap here since some a dual accredidation, but you get the point. Its impossible for students to go to every place they interview at. In the AOA world, there seems to be a belief among students that if you don't rotate somewhere, you won't match there. I think this comes from the fact that many programs are smaller, and tend to rank there lists with sure things. If you only have to match 3 spots, you may only have to rank 20 people. If you are only ranking 20, you probably can get 20 students in to rotate. That becomes a lot harder if you are a program with say 10 residents a year, and have to interview 120 candidates. So on the ACGME side of things, I don't think you see this expectation that you need to have rotated to have any chance. That being said, if you are a really good student, rotating somewhere only helps you. After all, if two candidates are otherwise equal on paper with similar SLOEs, EM grades, MPSEs, boards, etc, of course a program will rank the one they know if they did well on rotation over the unknown. That's common sense. I look at having rotated at a place more as an ultimate tie breaker than something that is going to jettison someone up 30 spots on a rank list.

As for what you can do. You can always go places and shadow for a shift. That will certainly show that you have significant interest in a place. The downside is, when you are shadowing, you do no actual hands on patient care, and that really doesn't help a place evaluate you in anyway. So while its a nice gesture that shows interest, its not really helpful for the program to evaluate you. Almost everyone sends emails or thank you cards after the interview, and this is a nice personal gesture, but almost everyone does it so its hard to gauge from a programs standpoint that this really means much interest. I think reaching out closer to the match with a followup email, stating your interest in a program is meaningful. But don't overdue it. If you tell every program they are #1 on your list, and you don't match there, they obviously know you are a liar. And EM is a small world, you never know if they have friends and former colleagues at other programs that you may make similar statements too. My point is, don't tell everyone on your match list they are #1. Rather, contact your top 3 places maybe, and tell them you have them highly ranked. Pick out what you liked about those places and put that stuff in the email. Make the program realize there is something in their program that is drawing you there, this makes it more genuine. Lastly, I'd let your top choice know they are your top choice. You don't have to do this, but I always like this transparency. Many programs do the same, and call a certain percentage of their list and let students know if they are in the top 10 or so. DONT FREAK OUT if you don't get a call, some programs don't do this, and many programs that are great programs go way deeper into their match lists than the number they contact.

If you do decide to contact programs closer to the match, remember that you can volunteer info about your rank list, and they can volunteer info about theirs. But neither side can ask the other about their intentions. You can email a program and say that you have them #1, but you can't say something like "i'd appreciate it if you told me where I stand". Same goes with the program. A program can contact you and tell you that you are ranked competitvely, but if they ask you where you have them ranked, that's a violation of the rules of the match.

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
hey everyone. how many interviews should you go on. I know the NRMP came out with statistics for the ACGME world that about 11-12 contiguous ranks give you like a 99% chance of matching but there aren't any stats about that in the AOA world. I asked my school and they said that Texas did a study at it came out that 6 interviews gave you a 99% chance of matching. I was wondering if anyone else has heard anything different or if your schools have told you something else

I'm interested in the emergency medicine residency at St. John Providence health in Michigan. Anyone rotate there recently or is a current resident to share info? I noticed they had 6 spots but only 4 current interns.

Are interviews still coming out??.. or pretty much done for the season?..

hey everyone. how many interviews should you go on. I know the NRMP came out with statistics for the ACGME world that about 11-12 contiguous ranks give you like a 99% chance of matching but there aren't any stats about that in the AOA world. I asked my school and they said that Texas did a study at it came out that 6 interviews gave you a 99% chance of matching. I was wondering if anyone else has heard anything different or if your schools have told you something else
go on as many interviews as you can afford / have time for in your schedule. usually this ends up being around 10. there is no benefit in trying to figure out the minimum number to go on. if you match, you won't care about a few extra interviews you went on. if you don't match, you will wonder if those extra few interviews would have changed the course of the rest of your career. its just not worth the risk.

Reactions: 3 users
go on as many interviews as you can afford / have time for in your schedule. usually this ends up being around 10. there is no benefit in trying to figure out the minimum number to go on. if you match, you won't care about a few extra interviews you went on. if you don't match, you will wonder if those extra few interviews would have changed the course of the rest of your career. its just not worth the risk.

Great advice

Does anyone know if programs are going to be adding interviews or is it too late? I have 3 interviews so far and am worrried...

Does anyone know if programs are going to be adding interviews or is it too late? I have 3 interviews so far and am worrried...

In the AOA world you're probably behind the curve here. My advice would be to contact the programs you're really interested in directly and make your case (you may contact 20 and get 2-3 interviews out of it). Additionally, if you can go do a few shifts at the departments you're interviewing at, that should bump you up a few notches. I'd also start thinking of backups/plan B and consider applying there too.

Give us your stats. Also are your three interviews only at places you rotated?

Give us your stats. Also are your three interviews only at places you rotated?

Comlex 1 and 2 are 500-550. Average grades first 2 years, 3 sloes hp/h/hp, all hp and honors in 3rd year. One of my interviews was at a place I auditioned, got honors, and feel really good about. I did not rotate at the other 2 places. I do
have a few acgme interviews, including my other rotations, but don't think I will get the double digits others have.

Some programs may be saving invitations for after ACOEP (starts next week). If you aren't going to that, it may be worth contacting the programs you really want to match to soon.

Comlex 1 and 2 are 500-550. Average grades first 2 years, 3 sloes hp/h/hp, all hp and honors in 3rd year. One of my interviews was at a place I auditioned, got honors, and feel really good about. I did not rotate at the other 2 places. I do
have a few acgme interviews, including my other rotations, but don't think I will get the double digits others have.

Do you have any red flags? Besides the scores I don't see anything that makes you a borderline candidate? Times are changing in EM.

Anyone heard from Henry Ford Macomb I saw they aren't on the list? Thanks!

They are on the allopathic side now.

I'm sorry. Did you apply a good mix of places?

I like the advice of someone above of contacting programs. It may seem ludicrous or desperate but in my mind it was my future so I did this about three weeks ago. I did 3 extra shadow shifts. One place didn't interview formally so it was a bit of a waste (good learning experience though) but I got an invite from one place a shadowed afterward and another place I shadowed, went to their didactics and journal club/ expressed interest and got an invite. It's a lot of work and we are all busy but in my mind it's short term pain for long term gain. Here's to hoping anyways!

You have 3 total between AOA & ACGME? How many did u apply to on each side?
I feel your anxiety. I've got COMLEX 1 & 2 >550, granted a low USMLE 1, no red flags I'm aware of, and only have interviews at places I've auditioned. I'm surprised about the crickets from the AOA side!

You have 3 total between AOA & ACGME? How many did u apply to on each side?
I feel your anxiety. I've got COMLEX 1 & 2 >550, granted a low USMLE 1, no red flags I'm aware of, and only have interviews at places I've auditioned. I'm surprised about the crickets from the AOA side!

Thanks for the help guys, I have started emailing programs this week and hopefully I will hear back from some.
I have applied to ~20 aoa programs and have 3 interviews. I applied to ~35 acgme and have 3 interviews on that side as well. How many places did you audition/get interviews at on the aoa side?

Thanks for the help, I have started emailing programs this week and hopefully I will hear back from some. I have applied to ~20 aoa programs and have 3 interviews. I applied to ~35 acgme and have 3 interviews on that side as well
Did u take USMLE 1 or 2? Are ur ACGME interviews at places that were previously AOA & were recently ACGME accredited? I've got 2 AOA invites after auditions & 3 ACGME after auditions.
Thanks for the help guys, I have started emailing programs this week and hopefully I will hear back from some.
I have applied to ~20 aoa programs and have 3 interviews. I applied to ~35 acgme and have 3 interviews on that side as well. How many places did you audition/get interviews at on the aoa side?

Contact programs in your geographic area, let them know you are interested and available on short notice to fill any cancellations they may receive.

Hey guys, I guess invites are still trickling in. I just received one from Coney Island, and there are multiple days available.

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
Integris SW Medical Center - Oklahoma City, OK
Coney Island - Brooklyn, NY

Did u take USMLE 1 or 2? Are ur ACGME interviews at places that were previously AOA & were recently ACGME accredited? I've got 2 AOA invites after auditions & 3 ACGME after auditions.

No usmle. And yes 2 of them used to be aoa

been an awfully quiet past two weeks with interviews...

when do (if they still do) programs start to "reach out" to you towards the end of the season in regards to ranking?

Last edited:
been an awfully quiet past two weeks with interviews...

when do (if they still do) programs start to "reach out" to you towards the end of the season in regards to ranking?

Cancellation season has yet to begin...

I'm sure every program is different about reaching out to students. Some programs contact people, others don't. You are free to contact students and let them know you have them ranked highly, but programs can't ask you where you have them ranked. This would be a big violation of the rules of the match.

We generally contacted a certain # of students to let them know they were highly ranked 2 weeks or so before the AOA match, but now on the ACGME side of things, yet still interviewing predominantly DO's, it throws a wrinkle in it, because you don't want someone ranked highly to bolt to the other match strictly because they think they won't match. We'll probably contact people earlier this year. But thats still up in the air to be honest.

Not sure if there will be much of cancellation season this year! It seems from many students that I have spoken with say that they got less interviews than expected. Some of the programs that I reached out to have filled all the interview slots as well as the waitlist. Good luck everyone!

Not sure if there will be much of cancellation season this year! It seems from many students that I have spoken with say that they got less interviews than expected. Some of the programs that I reached out to have filled all the interview slots as well as the waitlist. Good luck everyone!

It's most likely because the applicants who HAVE interviews, have them a whole bunch and those who don't, don't have many to begin with. I think he means those with 12+ will start to cancel later in the season which would open up spots to those who don't have... but with EM becoming super competitive and school/administration telling us to go to as many as we can possibly afford to go to (12+) in order to maximize our chances, I don't see too many people cancelling...

There are always cancellations. I assure you.