Osteopathic EM rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedKOD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read many threads and they half answer my question or almost do it. So I was just wondering if there are any residents out there that could tell me about DO EM residency (Miami, Port St Lucie, Charleston, Colton, Kingman, etc). How competitive they are? What scores? Were there still open spots? Is an audition rotations ABSOLUTELY necessary?

I plan on doing as many out rotations at places that will accept me. I did not take the USMLE but will still apply to some MD programs. Any ideas which are DO friendly?

My stats are top 25% of my class, COMLEX I score is 581.

Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my ROL for this cycle and am planning on writing up an in depth review of the DO places I visited after the match. Essentially there are places in the DO world that will not interview you without a rotation. That said, there are plenty of places that will. I applied to both DO and MD places and was generally surprised by most of the DO places. Spending too much time on SDN makes you assume that they are inferior which is not the case. They all have their pros and cons MD and DO. Also, EM is kind of a unique field and the places that I just assumed would be great (big name) were often a let down.

I found that many of the bigger DO places wont interview you without a rotation. Also I found that they are all really into location ties. The 2 programs in OK are silly competitive as they are the only places in the south. I was told flat out to do at least 2 months in OK if I wanted to go there. I know the MO program wants a rotation. Both the FL programs wont interview you without a rotation, period. Charleston is an awesome program and interviewed me without a rotation. They also have a new PD that is a pretty straight shooter and seemed exceptionally fair. Again, Ill sit down eventually an come up with a formal review for these places. The advice I got was to do one MD rotation just so you could get a good letter, then do the rest at DO places.

Thanks for the reply. I was really interested in the one in Charleston because it is located closest to me. There would be no way I could do 2 months in OK just because of scheduling, so that is out of the question. I was planning rotating at the two spots in FL if possible.

It would be absolutely wonderful if you could write about all the spots you went to. It would help me out since I'm an OMSIII that has finally decided on EM. At this point in time, I'm willing to go anywhere in the US to do EM. With my score do you think I would be competitive if I apply to as many as possible? Can you list some of the DO friendly MD residencies?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. I was really interested in the one in Charleston because it is located closest to me. There would be no way I could do 2 months in OK just because of scheduling, so that is out of the question. I was planning rotating at the two spots in FL if possible.

It would be absolutely wonderful if you could write about all the spots you went to. It would help me out since I'm an OMSIII that has finally decided on EM. At this point in time, I'm willing to go anywhere in the US to do EM. With my score do you think I would be competitive if I apply to as many as possible? Can you list some of the DO friendly MD residencies?
Thanks

Absolutely, very competitive. Your comlex will not keep you out of anyplace. I took the USMLE so Im not sure about places that will take both. If you have yet to take step 2, I would encourage you to take the USMLE step 2 also if you plan on applying to MD programs.

Do you think 2 week rotations are long enough? or should I do a whole 4 weeks at certain places? I just feel like I don't have enough time to get my face out there.

I agree, some places won't interview you unless you have rotated there. I don't know about the bigger programs not interviewing you if you don't rotate (other than OK-you have to rotate there) I got interviews from all the bigger MI, FL, and PA programs and I didn't rotate at most.

I do think 4 wk rotation is better than 2 coz then you really get to know the program. Maybe do 2 4 week at places you really want and split one. That is what I did.

I found that many of the bigger DO places wont interview you without a rotation. Also I found that they are all really into location ties. The 2 programs in OK are silly competitive as they are the only places in the south. I was told flat out to do at least 2 months in OK if I wanted to go there.

St Joseph's in Eastern Ohio only has two spots for residents and usually gets their top 2 or three candidates. This year a woman did three months of audition rotations just to get her spot. Local ties are key, love letters almost a must.

Don't assume an undesirable location means an automatic match for any good applicant.

Can anyone comment on where residents at particular DO programs end up? I know doing a DO residency would make it more difficult to pursue academic options, but I'm wondering if doing a DO residency would have any implications on your marketability for job prospects. Information about these programs seems harder to come by relative to MD programs so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone know any information about the Warwick program? Or the program outside of Chicago?