Osteopathic FP Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComicBookHero20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice for the osteopathic FP boards?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any advice for the osteopathic FP boards?

Sure. The exam is quite straightforward. Any FP board review book or even Step 3 review book will work. Expect to have images (rashes, chest films) and sounds as well (heart sounds) that you have to diagnose. The images have improved in quality. You'll also have a few EKGs to interpret, and one or two videos of OMT exams or maneuvers that you need to interpret. The format is similar to Step 3. First you do multiple choice questions, then it goes to clinical vignettes with 1-3 questions related to the vignette. Don't worry too much about it, if you were paying attention during residency the questions are for the most part common day-to-day FP issues.

For the osteopathic/practical component, just review your OMT skills for all regions of the body with any review book you like.

Good luck with the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shinken,

how much time would you recommend for studying for the March 31st exam?

Well, that's a difficult question to answer since it depends on a lot of factors. How comfortable are you with your knowledge base? How comfortable are you with computerized test-taking situations?

I would recommend starting soon. That would give you about 3 months of study time which is adequate. Don't go crazy and study several hours daily, just review weak areas and do a few questions daily and you will likely pass, assuming you have a good knowledge base going into the exam. Remember, the score is irrelevant (as a matter of fact, they won't tell you your score), you just have to pass.

For the OMT practical you definitely need to be very comfortable recalling information relevant to OMT physical exam and treatment, since the practical test, although straightforward in retrospect, is quite nerve-wracking if you're shaky on OMT skills.

would you suggest using the Brattons FP book as a good source of questions?

would you suggest using the Brattons FP book as a good source of questions?

I suppose, as long as it has a good representation of questions. Personally, I've never used it.

Also, I misspoke before. They do give you your score (just went through my old documents from the exam and realized they did send me a letter with the overall score, and where that score falls in a scale of low-pass-average-high).

Last edited:
This is essentially COMLEX IV with an osteopathic practical exam with a touch of slave labor by way of submitting two board exam questions with references in two preselected categories of areas you're probably not familiar with. Oh, and it's also beau coup expensive ( ~$2000) and location/travel dependent because the practical is held only two times per year during either ACOFP or AOA conventions.

Good luck!

Can anyone give a rundown on how the omm practical part is?

I took it 4 years ago. We all sat at a table initially and were given 3 cases on paper. You had to do a chart note, you put down at least 3 differential diagnosis for the case and you better include somatic dysfunction as one of them.

The practical was super easy, they give you a diagnosis and you give two different ways of treating it. You go through the motions of HVLA and don't actually do the thrust.

I took it 4 years ago. We all sat at a table initially and were given 3 cases on paper. You had to do a chart note, you put down at least 3 differential diagnosis for the case and you better include somatic dysfunction as one of them.

The practical was super easy, they give you a diagnosis and you give two different ways of treating it. You go through the motions of HVLA and don't actually do the thrust.
Thats good to know, Im just worried because my program doesnt emphasize OMM as much so my knowledge is fading and Im worried that like in med school the proctors will be very nitpicky...are my fears valid?

Any last minute tips for the DO Boards?

Yes...relax!

Also, share your tips after the exam with future test takers. Most of us attendings have taken the written and practical a few years back, and things might have changed with the way they run the test.

Hey tips on how the test is in terms of obscure questions versus/amount of cardio vs GI, etc or what sources are best to use? Any actual advise would be helpful.

It's been too long since I took the FP boards, and I don't have to recertify yet, so I'll defer to those that have taken the exams recently. I'm curious to see if anything has changed, particularly with the OMT practical.

It's been too long since I took the FP boards, and I don't have to recertify yet, so I'll defer to those that have taken the exams recently. I'm curious to see if anything has changed, particularly with the OMT practical.
Practical is super easy especially if you take the review course.