Osteopathic Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RollTide

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain the whole osteopathic match for me? Do you apply for intership and residency the same year? Will residency programs help you secure a internship at the hospital where you will do your residency? Do you rank programs the same way as with the NRMP? If you apply for residency and internship in the same year, how do you find the time and money to travel for interviews for both internship and residency. Are subspecialty fellowships included in this match? Do you go through the match again if you are interested in a subspecialty after residency. When do you rank programs? When do you hear the results and how are you contacted about the results? Is there an osteopathic scramble like with the ACGME spots? Can you secure positions outside of the match? Any other info is greatly appreciated.

-Josh

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend purchasing the book, "Getting Into A Residency: A Guide for Medical Students" by Kenneth V. Iserson. It discusses all your concerns and more. Very insightful/informative a must read for all medical students.

If any other users have other recommendations I would love to hear about them as well.

The osteopathic match will soon be moving to the first week in March. It has previously been held in January. I don't know if it will be next year or the next when the new date starts. I do know that it will be in place for my graduating class. THe DO match is for an internship. The time period for applying to programs, the method of receiving results, and a scramble are all similar to the ACGME match. To the best of my knowledge, you apply to residency programs during your internship and there is not a "match". It will be just like applying for a job and then accepting a position if offered. The DME of an osteopathic training hospital recently addressed our class and said that most programs are looking for people who will do their internship and residency with that program, but you do not have to do this. However, from the sounds of it and simple logic, it seems that if you do an internship at hospital X and want to continue in their residency, then you will be at an advantage to others. This is unless you were not looked favorably upon as an intern. Your chances are probably increased even more if you do a specilty track internship at that hospital and want to continue there for that residency. Example: you do an IM specialty internship and want to continue with their IM residency. Sub-specialty fellowships are also obtained without a "match". This is my understanding of the process. If I am wrong, somebody please correct me. I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by PCSOM2002 (edited 05-18-2000).]