osteopathic MS3 step 2 CK question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

token8197

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

really looking for some advice about my current situation and desire to go into heme onc. Current osteopathic third year med student who has always dreamed of doing heme onc. I took both USMLE step 1 and Level 1. My USMLE was >220 but less than average and a little above average on COMLEX Level 1.

Looking for some guidance on 2 things 1) currently 6 months pregnant and not sure I want to take Step 2 before my due date 2) does my step 1 score really dampen any chance I have of matching into fellowship?

There are SO many variables in trying to tackle 4th year and I'm getting overwhelmed and discouraged, and not sure who to turn to for advice. I am due end of June and my OB said I should consider taking my exam- at the latest- in the first week of June. Problem is I have absolutely have to take Level 2 during that first week in June and I won't get done with rotations until end of may. My school only allows 1 month of FMLA and I am taking that first month of fourth year in July to be with the baby, which leaves me no time for a "dedicated study" from the end of my last rotation until the first week of June. I also know I have to crush step 2, but I'm not sure I can fully prepare myself with all that will be going weeks before my due date.

I hope to match at a community IM program that I'm currently doing my rotations in. They have a good match rate into oncology programs. My program coordinator for this residency said step 2 CK is not really that important to them. soooo~ if you are still reading this, I'm wondering if taking step 2 at a later date ( Spring 2021?) is something I should consider? I'm not sure how much this plays into matching into fellowship as a D.O.. I spent a lot of time looking at many oncology programs using Freida website and program websites around the country regarding %Do's matching, which Steps they take , whether they take COMLEX scores, but it's exhausting and I'm not sure how accurate the data is. To be honest, I'm wondering if my step 1 score is even good enough (aside from other things that play a role like research etc.) to match on top of the fact that I'll be a D.O.

any and all advice is much appreciated !

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am a DO who matched into a Hem/Onc fellowship that started 2019 (currently PGY-4). I did not take USMLE exams until after I graduated osteopathic medical school. They are used as screening tests for applicants because this fellowship is getting competitive. The material is more fresh if you take it now rather than waiting (reading Pathoma during my ward month as an intern is not that fun).

As mentioned in previous posts, the best things for Hem/Onc are lots of research, good mentors and letters (from H/O rotations), and making a solid pitch at your interviews. Apply broadly as a DO, the stigma still exists in some places. Good luck!

Hello,

I am a DO who matched into a Hem/Onc fellowship that started 2019 (currently PGY-4). I did not take USMLE exams until after I graduated osteopathic medical school. They are used as screening tests for applicants because this fellowship is getting competitive. The material is more fresh if you take it now rather than waiting (reading Pathoma during my ward month as an intern is not that fun).

As mentioned in previous posts, the best things for Hem/Onc are lots of research, good mentors and letters (from H/O rotations), and making a solid pitch at your interviews. Apply broadly as a DO, the stigma still exists in some places. Good luck!
thank you for your response!