Osteopathic PM&R Board Certification

Started by FitDoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FitDoc

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a D.O. educated PM&R resident (in an allopathic program), I am planning on sitting for the Osteopathic Board certification in 2013, and wonder who has taken the D.O. (AOBPMR) boards, and are there specific resources out there that would further prepare a candidate to sit for this exam.

I can't think of a reason for anyone to sit for both exams, but if you have done so, your insights would be well-appreciated.

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
As a D.O. educated PM&R resident (in an allopathic program), I am planning on sitting for the Osteopathic Board certification in 2013, and wonder who has taken the D.O. (AOBPMR) boards, and are there specific resources out there that would further prepare a candidate to sit for this exam.

I can't think of a reason for anyone to sit for both exams, but if you have done so, your insights would be well-appreciated.

Thanks.

So you're not going to sit for the AAPM&R/allopathic boards?

I'm a resident so I don't know anything about the AOCPMR test.... but I do know that if you are AOA boarded you will need to pay AOA membership dues annually for life to maintain your board certification. The few attendings I know who took both boards have all decided not to maintain their AOA certification due to the yearly dues and bc they felt that there really was not a tangible benefit unless you want to be a program director at an AOA program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It does appear more expensive, but its likely a wash if you hit one conference per year. The ABPMR also requires an annual fee to maintain certification, but its less expensive. No desire to be a PD. Unfortunately, there's very little, if any, governance over the AOA programs.

Still looking for info.
 
I cannot answer your question but would like to ask why you are doing DO board cert? What is the pro/con? I am a DO and looked at this and could not see a reason to do the DO PMR boards.
 
Is there a benefit at this point with the onerous and expensive testing/MOC to preferentially certify through the osteopathic PM&R board?
 
Last edited: