Osteopathic PMR program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jephyboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything or have any insight on the one Osteopathic PMR program? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did a rotation there as medical student....overall avg program...main strengths are Dr. Andary and Dr Weiting....if they leave I would be scared for the program...they have some new faculty which I have limited experience with but they seem like good additions to the program...Supposedly good emg experience, you have to travel to Grand Rapids and Flint for some rotations. Seemed like outpatient was stronger inpatients. They were redoing some of their inpatient physical structures and adding on to their clinical center. Have some friend interning there and they are getting their #@$ kicked right now.

I rotated there for a month and ultimately matched and will be starting in July!! Inpatient was indeed a little on the slow side, this is in comparison to another rotation I did at UC Davis, where Neurosurgery is right across the hall. THis is currently being changed to include some inpatient time over at Sparrow Hospital. This is a very outpatient musculoskeletal weighted residency. Great EMG exposure under Dr. Andary, most of the residents I talked to stated they were extremely comfortable in performing EMGs and no one that I talked to was even considering an EMG fellowship. The fact that this residency was more outpatient based was one of the big reasons I chose to go there. You do have to travel a little for some rotations in TBI and SCI as stated in previous post. They have didactics regularly and devote at least one to two full mornings a week to lectures/didactics. Also, being the only dual accredited PM&R residency in the nation was a big plus for me, as I wanted to continue to utilize and build on the OMM skills I have learned. My best advice is to rotate anywhere you are even thinking of going. It will help you see ALL the in's and out's of the program, see if you are a fit, and possibly make some friends and great contacts in the process. Hope this helps, any other questions....please feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they trying to expand upon the just one osteopathic program and if they are what locations would they look at?

NYCOM affiliated hospitals are trying to establish two programs out there for PMR. It's on their website somewhere. Don't know the timeline for this. But it does look like the programs are already existing MD programs.

umdnjdoc said:
Are they trying to expand upon the just one osteopathic program and if they are what locations would they look at?

umdnjdoc said:
I actually spoke to Dr. Wieting at MSU about this last year during my interview there... he said that there was interest from Mayo about becoming dually-accredited (DO and MD.) I'm not sure if he meant they were actively interested or that there had been discussions in the past.

The idea was explored and it went no where. The real issue was getting approval for PGY-1 year for DO's. Since then, there have been a couple new osteopathic internship programs open up in the Minnesota/Wisconsin Area.

Whirly said:
The idea was explored and it went no where. The real issue was getting approval for PGY-1 year for DO's. Since then, there have been a couple new osteopathic internship programs open up in the Minnesota/Wisconsin Area.

I will be a pgy2 at University of Wisconin's program. I remember when interviewing with a D.O. faculty, whom is now Dept. Chair, that he was interested in attaining dual accredidation for the program. Will it happen? I have no clue but might have some more info in the near future