1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

osteopathic specality residencies..easier for DOs to specalize?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by OsteoGASDOC, Dec 15, 2008.

1. OsteoGASDOC

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i was talking to a 1st year osteopathic orthopedic surgery resident and he told me that statistically it is easier for a DO to match into DO-ortho then an allo matching to into MD-ortho. he told me that there were 10 applications for 1 DO ortho residency, in contrast to 20 applicants for 1 MD residency. is this true? also what other specialties are easier to match into as a DO applying to osteo? gas? rads?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Drawing Dead

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Generally, all of them, since the only applicants applying for osteopathic spots are osteopathic students, where as for allopathic spots, you are competing with allopaths, IMGS, and osteopaths. There may be some exceptions to this, depending on the percieved quality of education, location, and other factors of each individual program. But in general, there are 10 times as many allopaths as osteopaths graduating each year, and about 50% of osteopaths don't participate in the osteopathic match, so you're talking about an approximately 11:1 ratio of applicants.