Dec 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/olympic-athletes-rely-on-osteopathic-physicians-for-healthcare-and-performance-enhancement-in-rio-300312945.html

I thought this article was worth a look for pre-osteopaths. It says olympic athlete's (specifically gymnasts) top request from doctors was OMT therapy. Also the weird circles on Michael Phelps during the Olympics were from something called cupping...

Here is an excerpt from the article....

Cupping, an ancient remedy using heated glass cups to create rehabilitative suction, is having a moment thanks to the circular bruises sported by Michael Phelps and other prominent athletes. The treatment is offered at the four high performance health centers at the Olympic Games.

Rebeccah Rodriguez, DO, medical director of the Team USA high performance center, says cupping is believed to revitalize muscles. "We regularly use cupping to facilitate muscle recovery for our Olympians," she said. "The ancient therapy is most often used in conjunction with other techniques including osteopathic manipulation, practiced by osteopathic physicians."

Anyone know if "cupping" is taught at DO schools?? Sounds pretty interesting to me...

CCmetal94

2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Cupping is not taught in DO school. Cupping is almost certainly a bunk treatment, and has nothing to do specifically with osteopathic medicine. This DO promoting it is just like an MD promoting homeopathy or something. That said it is nice to see DO's treating Olympic athletes.

OP
Johnny Appleseed
Dec 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Cupping is not taught in DO school. Cupping is almost certainly a bunk treatment, and has nothing to do specifically with osteopathic medicine. This DO promoting it is just like an MD promoting homeopathy or something. That said it is nice to see DO's treating Olympic athletes.
I kind of figured cupping was far fetched and not based in research... but hey it didn't seem to hurt Phelps! OMT, on the other hand, seems to be supported by an abundance of research.

OP
Johnny Appleseed
Dec 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
That DO talking about cupping is giving other DOs a bad name. Get outta here with that pseudoscience bs. And take cranial with you.
Not promoting/supporting cupping at all. Just curious about what it is and why a DO treating Olympians was discussing it.

samac

2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Not promoting/supporting cupping at all. Just curious about what it is and why a DO treating Olympians was discussing it.
Oh no I'm not saying you are, I just don't like it when I see DOs out promoting pseudoscience. Our profession has came a long way in the past 30 years, and those before me have fought to get us equal rights. I get that it's just one DO and not a whole profession similar to an MD supporting homeopathy, but their profession as a whole doesn't have an uphill battle they've been fighting. This just doesn't help our case. Absolutely nothing against you, just this DO in particular.

Reactions: 09kseljaas

cliquesh

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Oh no I'm not saying you are, I just don't like it when I see DOs out promoting pseudoscience. Our profession has came a long way in the past 30 years, and those before me have fought to get us equal rights. I get that it's just one DO and not a whole profession similar to an MD supporting homeopathy, but their profession as a whole doesn't have an uphill battle they've been fighting. This just doesn't help our case. Absolutely nothing against you, just this DO in particular.
A lot of medicine is pseudoscience or subjective. Medicine isn't a real science by any means.

Marrowist

Bone Boy
2+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Yawn

el_duderino

Some men play tennis, I erode the human soul
7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Cupping is not OMT.

Reactions: Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
And Chapman's points!
That DO talking about cupping is giving other DOs a bad name. Get outta here with that pseudoscience bs. And take cranial with you.

Reactions: BeachBlondie

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So let me get this straight....

Cupping = B.S. not even taught at DO schools not part of OMT
Cranial Osteopathy = B.S., but taught in DO schools and part of OMT
Chapman's Points = B.S., but also taught at DO schools and also a part of OMT

Reactions: 09kseljaas

samac

2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student
So let me get this straight....

Cupping = B.S. not even taught at DO schools not part of OMT
Cranial Osteopathy = B.S., but taught in DO schools and part of OMT
Chapman's Points = B.S., but also taught at DO schools and also a part of OMT
Cranial and Chapman's points don't have any real evidence to back them up. Once they do have evidence I'll be all for them.
I'm all for OMT that actually helps people. Muscle energy. HVLA. Myofascial release.
But chapman points and resetting the gamma neurons by activating the antagonist muscle? The sutures of your skull move?

Like I said people have worked hard to get us into a place of respect. I'm not saying OMT is perfect and we still have a way to go, but speaking of the clear pseudoscience of cupping is not helping the movement in the right direction.

We might see a significant decrease in OMT in the future. I'm getting daily emails about "Save OMT!" It's possible Medicare and Medicaid may decide not to cover the procedures. We'll see how that turns out though.

OP
Johnny Appleseed
Dec 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Cranial and Chapman's points don't have any real evidence to back them up. Once they do have evidence I'll be all for them.
I'm all for OMT that actually helps people. Muscle energy. HVLA. Myofascial release.
But chapman points and resetting the gamma neurons by activating the antagonist muscle? The sutures of your skull move?

Like I said people have worked hard to get us into a place of respect. I'm not saying OMT is perfect and we still have a way to go, but speaking of the clear pseudoscience of cupping is not helping the movement in the right direction.

We might see a significant decrease in OMT in the future. I'm getting daily emails about "Save OMT!" It's possible Medicare and Medicaid may decide not to cover the procedures. We'll see how that turns out though.
IMO cupping sounds more plausible than "the sutures of your skull move." Honestly..... :wtf:

Reactions: vendtex

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Oh, cranial.....

kelminak

7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student
If cranial and chapman's aren't supported by any literature, why are they taught? What would need to be done in order to get them removed from curriculums?

el_duderino

Some men play tennis, I erode the human soul
7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If cranial and chapman's aren't supported by any literature, why are they taught? What would need to be done in order to get them removed from curriculums?
Then what would be different about a DO education vs MD?

Reactions: vendtex

kelminak

7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student

DO2015CA

5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AOA needs to be abolished for that to happen and the old guard needs to pass on.

samac

2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Let the old dogs retire.
Then what would be different about a DO education vs MD?
There's much more to OMT than those 2 specific things. Others have real benefit, with some science behind them. I'm totally fine with using HVLA or Muscle energy.

Reactions: hallowmann

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
They are supported by "literature". Literature created by the AOA (the JAOA, a journal that had many of its contributors BEG for an impact factor and the entire org reluctantly agreed because they knew it would be a low IF).

So far my experience with OS second year has been filled with anecdotal accounts, "studies show" without actually citing the literature or studies of clinical trials where n=20 and p>.05 which is supposed to somehow encourage me that these treatments are effective.

Probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen in this journal thus far is this: http://jaoa.org/article.aspx?articleid=2094594&resultClick=1

These "researchers" are now saying their work is a different kind of, evidence base.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

DO2015CA

5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
They are supported by "literature". Literature created by the AOA (the JAOA, a journal that had many of its contributors BEG for an impact factor and the entire org reluctantly agreed because they knew it would be a low IF).

So far my experience with OS second year has been filled with anecdotal accounts, "studies show" without actually citing the literature or studies of clinical trials where n=20 and p>.05 which is supposed to somehow encourage me that these treatments are effective.

Probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen in this journal thus far is this: http://jaoa.org/article.aspx?articleid=2094594&resultClick=1

These "researchers" are now saying their work is a different kind of, evidence base.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
But but but the TMH wave exists.. why would my faculty lie to me

Reactions: AlteredScale

SynapticDoctah

5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2013
Status
Medical Student
But but but the TMH wave exists.. why would my faculty lie to me
I was super active today...rode the fluid wave....and drove that osteopathic bus.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile