Osteopaths in Psych & the AOA internship requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMC_MarineCorps

Primum non nocere
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys and gals,

I'm a little confused as to how my needing to complete a traditional DO internship year in order to practice in FL (if I so choose to one day return to my native land) will affect how I might need to plan in this upcoming match.

Are most programs linked? How can I tell which ones are categorical vs. PGY2-4, etc. Do I take a DO internship this year and apply to ACGME PGY2-4 next year...thereby forgoing the match this year?

My mom lives in FL and I may or may not want to return there to practice....just don't want to make a decision now that may close this door in the future. How hard is it to petition the AOA? I heard from a colleague that the ONLY difference b/w AOA and AMA internships is one month of OB/GYN, but that seems a bit to simplified. Anyone know 1st hand.

Thank you,

JMC

Members don't see this ad.

I hope someone can answer this as I have the same questions and am looking to apply in Michigan, which has the same rules. Anyone???

I am currently a PGY-1 D.O. in a dually-accreditted psych residency. The way ours works is for the 1st year, we get credit for the AOA internship. The official title is "AOA internship with special interest in psychiatry" or somesuch.