Osu 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbapunk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Buckeyes!

Just wondering if any of you have started looking into housing and if you know which areas are nice to live in. I'm coming from out of state so I don't really have a clue.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Bubbapunk! We're going to be classmates :D
I'm OOS too so I can't say for sure which are good/bad areas. I know that Indianola Ave tends to be more undergrad/party central. I found a pretty cool place off of OSU's offcampus site. It lets you search by criteria- cats and large dogs allowed was a big one for me- and everyone I dealt with was really nice. I'm sure we'll be hearing things as we get closer (and the school sent out a welcome email with some campus recommended places too).
The really cool thing that I found was this website that lets you put in your address and then you can see all the crimes that occur in your neighborhood..it tells you the types and times and everything. It's really cool and all the cops use it in Columbus- they referred me to it when I called to check on area safety.
I'm sure ri23 and other current students have way better info, but pm me if you have any questions, and if i can help you I will :)

YAY!!! Another out-of stater here! I have been planning on going to OSU for a while and so I have talked to a few students/in-staters who know the area. This is the basic stuff I have heard (from a wide variety of messages and stuff haha). These are the apartment complexes that I have heard about: Fox and Hounds, Govenour's Square, Olentangy Commons, Heritage Apartments, and Island Club. All are within a ten minute drive to campus. I also heard that it would be worthwhile to find a townhouse and room with someone in the area (try columbus.craigslist.com and stick to north-west columbus Bethel/Henderson/Kenny area).

Those complexes are in a spattering of places near campus. Area wise, I was told to look around Bethel and Sawmill (try to stay in between Kenny and Sawmill). This is where governour's square and fox and hounds are about. The closer you get to campus the sketchier which is something to keep in mind as well. I hope that this helps at least with a general idea to get started!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been looking around at apartments as well. I just wanted to let you guys know that many of the places near OSU have started waitlists for people wanting to move in this summer. Heritage Apartments started their waitlist in December:eek:. Also, does anybody know how the parking on campus is for those people that will have to drive from their apartment? Thanks!

Hello,

I just moved into Georgetown Apartments on High Street. Its about 10 minutes north of campus on High Street. So far (only been here 3 weeks) I really like it. I have a two bedroom townhouse, with a large patio that is completey enclosed in a privacy fence. (Great for the dog). They are pet friendly, but do have breed restrictions. Google them and their website will come up. Everyone seems really friendly here, and most people have pets it seems.

I moved from a place which AIMCO owns (Same company that owns Island Club). I had a very bad experience with them, and would suggest avoiding them. I havent been to the Island Club though.

I asked one of the tour guides about parking...she said that the lot that was right in front of the VMAB was just for veterinary students and that parking was never a problem. There are permits that we buy during orientation, and that's our key to problem free parking:p. I'm not sure about the cost, or if it's once a year or once a quarter fee wise.

oh- she also said that almost everyone lives a few miles away from campus b/c they're really into football (obviously :laugh:) and that it can be difficult to drive around if you live right near school (with football traffic and such). She did say that if you needed to get onto campus to study in the anatomy lab or something though, that your vet id was your key in, and that it could be done.

My wife and I spent some time in Columbus a few weeks ago, we decided that the Henderson Rd/Bethel Rd area was definitely the area that we want to live. It was about a 10-15 min drive in Friday evening traffic from the Vet School. We haven't looked into specific apartments much yet as we wont be able to move until august. I am hoping that the class ahead of us will provide us with some valuable info in the next few months about apartments specifically ones that allow dogs. We currently dont have a dog but have decided to adopt a greyhound after we move:thumbup:

Hello,

I just moved into Georgetown Apartments on High Street. Its about 10 minutes north of campus on High Street. So far (only been here 3 weeks) I really like it. I have a two bedroom townhouse, with a large patio that is completey enclosed in a privacy fence. (Great for the dog). They are pet friendly, but do have breed restrictions. Google them and their website will come up. Everyone seems really friendly here, and most people have pets it seems.

I moved from a place which AIMCO owns (Same company that owns Island Club). I had a very bad experience with them, and would suggest avoiding them. I havent been to the Island Club though.

Hi FishHick!

I just looked up Georgetown Apartments and it does look really nice! Also, it said on the website that they have a fenced in dog park - have you visited it? I am trying to look for a house to rent with a fenced in yard, because I have two dogs, and one is a beagle who needs lots of room to release his abundance of energy! However, I think that if I could get a first floor unit here with a fenced in patio, and the dog park that would be great for them!

I have a question though, have you noticed if the walls are thin there, like can you hear your neighbors? Because sometimes my Tommy (the beagle) gets loud, and I would be nervous that my neighbors would get upset!

Also, if there is anything else you can tell me about this place, that would be great!

Hello fellow buckeyes. I am also starting in the fall and have lived in columbus for going on 3 years. I live in the Henderson/Bethel area, but have lived all over columbus in my short 3 years. If anyone has any questions about the school (I'm finishing my MPH there right now) or where to live/work...anything...feel free to PM me. I'm happy to have my brain picked! If not, see you in the fall!

Go Bucks!

There's alot of stuff available in the Short North, Victorian Village, Italian Village areas just south of the OSU med center if you like a more urban feeling to things. PM me if you have specific questions! We're looking forward to meeting you guys in the fall:)

Ive been looking around and i think im either going to live round short north or grandview. pretty nice areas in my opinion but i only spent a day in the city so i have no feel for it at all. is anyone interested in looking to get a 3 bedroom place for 2 people? rent is ridiculously cheap compared to california.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive been looking around and i think im either going to live round short north or grandview. pretty nice areas in my opinion but i only spent a day in the city so i have no feel for it at all. is anyone interested in looking to get a 3 bedroom place for 2 people? rent is ridiculously cheap compared to california.

Rent is really cheap in Columbus compared to Florida too. I feel like I'm actually going to be able to afford a pretty nice place for once!

So any ladies out there need a roommate?? :D I have no idea about anything in the Columbus area. I have a 13 lb dachshund (NOT the bad kind of dachshund, I swear!) and I would really like to live somewhere with a porch/patio and private bathrooms. PM me if you're interested!

Rent is really cheap in Columbus compared to Florida too. I feel like I'm actually going to be able to afford a pretty nice place for once!

And Florida is really cheap compared to California! (moved from Orlando to Davis last year)

I have a lot of friends who went to or are going to OSU now, you guys are gonna love it. :)

Are you guys going to get your rabies shots before school starts?

I think I am going to wait until I get my OSU health insurance and my student loan money.:)

According to my mother, it's covered by my parents' insurance (government insurance rocks, fyi). So, in other words, heck yeah! I'm getting them done before I'm thrown out on my own :D

My friend and I are looking for a house and possibly another roommate or two. In need of the whole pet friendly thing, we have like five cats between the two of us.

anyone figure out about registration yet? i got an email saying i could register after may 1st...but i dont know what im supposed to register for!

anyone figure out about registration yet? i got an email saying i could register after may 1st...but i dont know what im supposed to register for!

I'm sooo glad you said this! I was looking at the registration page and felt like a ***** because instead of courses it said something about "free time." I think I'm going to call the registrar tomorrow and double check..I'll post back with what I find out!

Don't worry guys, the vet school administration will tell you what you need to register for and when. Everyone takes the same thing at first, so there are no worries about not being able to get into your classes. The main campus administration that schedules who registers when sends out an email every quarter telling you when to register, but that email basically doesn't apply to us. My advice is to ignore that email and wait for one from the vet school. :)

Don't worry guys, the vet school administration will tell you what you need to register for and when. Everyone takes the same thing at first, so there are no worries about not being able to get into your classes. The main campus administration that schedules who registers when sends out an email every quarter telling you when to register, but that email basically doesn't apply to us. My advice is to ignore that email and wait for one from the vet school. :)

Thank you! You've just taken a load off my mind:D

thanks! I figured something like that but with my luck I would have been wrong!

Yay Buckeyes!

Has anyone gotten a letter or information packet? I am kind of lost as to what I should be preparing for. I mean, yea, we have a lot of time but i'd rather start preparing sooner than later.

I have received nothing (not even the registration email that some say they got).

Oh actually I got an invitation to a fraternity party but that's it.

I haven't gotten anything yet either..I emailed Jane Woodland about financial aid...she said we should be getting our award letters towards the end of June. Other than that, I don't know much..I'm thinking nothing new until they finish up this quarter? That seems to be the trend with other schools...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels totally clueless! I haven't gotten anything except the fraternity email either :laugh:

what I REALLY wanna know is...

When do we get to buy our football tickets?

:D

what I REALLY wanna know is...

When do we get to buy our football tickets?

:D

June 1st. I would buy them right at midnight as they will probably sell out in a few hours.

As for the rest, you probably won't be getting any information for awhile. I think we started getting stuff last year in June.

In regards to football tickets...if anyone needs a set for a friend/wasn't able to buy a set etc...I will be selling my set (and yes, that includes the Michigan game). So, remember me for all your Buckeye ticket needs ;-)

I work every Saturday...and I prefer to drink and see the game in the comfort of my living room. I believe they are in A deck. :)

YES I WANT FOOTBALL TICKETS! where and how? i live in Cali, so im guessing i cant buy them here....and i dont have an ID card or anything so what should i do? or am i **** out of out luck?

by the way people looking for places, i have found a nice 4 bedroom in short north for 900/month. I was thinking maybe 3 people could share it so we have some extra room, and its about 2.5 miles from the vet school.

sweet I also got a place about 2 miles from the vet school, not sure about roommates yet though... but it's got a big yard for the dogs which was a huge requirement for me.

I hope there's a way to get them online because I won't be able to buy them at the ticket office either.

i got an email about buying tickets today, so june 1st is the day. you need the code they give you and ssn#! i already wrote it in my calendar and i need to set an alarm now. EXCITING!

Not to spoil your fun, but do it at midnight on June 1 and keep trying until it goes through. Don't be suprised if you don't get them... Most first-years who didn't go to undergrad here don't get them.

Yea, i was talking to reefer and he said hes been waiting for that countdown on the football ticket site for an hour...im still waiting too.

A question about residency --- for those OS'ers, did you guys read the requirements for attaining residency for OH? apparently we can only be out of the state for 3 weeks during the summer.... how stringent are they on this? I found the link on the registrar's site or somewhere, but i cant put the link b/c its bookmarked on my other computer.

should we create a group to buy tickets for the games together? I'm just going to get season tickets

I talked with Reefervet and he set up a group for the football games, name and password are 'cvm2012'. I just orderd my season tickets.

I got my tickets this morning! I tried joined the cvm2012 group but when I submitted the order it would not go through. So I tried again with no group selected and it went through. I was able to get a season ticket for me and one for my wife.:thumbup::hardy:

Hey I got my tickets this morning, but I am not in the group cvm2012. It looks like I can still join if I send them an email, but I have to have names of 2 people who are already in the group. Would a couple of people from the group mind messaging me with your names?? I would really appreciate it!! Thanks:)

bovine and destiny I sent both of you guys private messages with 2 names you can use, I think first game is 9/27!!

Hey guys, I was wondering if it's possible to have bought extra tickets, as I didn't get my acceptance letter till Friday, which prevented me from having an OSU account. Any suggestions on getting into the games, or am I SOL and will have to get tickets the day of?

Thanks!

Ugh...unfortunately I missed the boat on the tickets so i will also be scrounging for extras when the time comes...

Hey I got my tickets this morning, but I am not in the group cvm2012. It looks like I can still join if I send them an email, but I have to have names of 2 people who are already in the group. Would a couple of people from the group mind messaging me with your names?? I would really appreciate it!! Thanks:)

I also am new to the OSU CVM class of 2012. Is it possible to give me the info for the football games as well?

Thanks!