OSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question regarding this school. I know they have preference to in-state residents however, is it like some schools (I know some MDs do this) where if you have ties to the state it puts you in a better standing than random OOSers?

For example, I have a set of grandparents who live near Tulsa, OK, in addition I'm from Bakersfield, CA which you history buffs may know is where a large portion of the migrant farm workers went during the dust bowl (see: Grapes of Wrath). Is it still worth applying since I'm a CA resident?

3.3 overall, 30O mcat.

Quick question regarding this school. I know they have preference to in-state residents however, is it like some schools (I know some MDs do this) where if you have ties to the state it puts you in a better standing than random OOSers?

For example, I have a set of grandparents who live near Tulsa, OK, in addition I'm from Bakersfield, CA which you history buffs may know is where a large portion of the migrant farm workers went during the dust bowl (see: Grapes of Wrath). Is it still worth applying since I'm a CA resident?

3.3 overall, 30O mcat.

I say go for it. You never know what the admissions committee will see in your application that will draw their attention. I still have no idea what they saw in mine, but I am sure glad they did. I got in with a 3.4/30.

I am OOS with my only ties being family friends in Tulsa. (I am not sure how much ties affect acceptance).

And call me crazy, but the Great Depression might not be the best topic for your personal statement or secondary essay...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have submitted by aacomas and am finishing my secondary this week.

Any other okies out there?

I have submitted by aacomas and am finishing my secondary this week.

Any other okies out there?

Right here! I'm taking the MCAT next month and I'm going to submit my primary by then. We'll see!

OSU is increasing their class size this year, aren't they?

You might consider submitting you aacomas now..just putting not yet taken on your mcat. Good luck by the way....thou shalt tame the mcat monster.

I had not heard about the increase in class size, but that could be a good thing.

T

I also think you should submit your primary earlier than august, almo. It just takes so long for them to get certified, which I'm sure you know by now after being a regular SDN'er. I heard about the increase in class size at my interview, but i'm still confused as too how much it will be and when.

Been a while since I've been on, but yeah the school switching has thrown my plans off the trax. I wont be able to apply until next summer but no biggy, ill live. I am taking the MCAT in september for the first time as a benchmark and will go from there!

Hi all! I live in the Tulsa area and this is my third time applying to OSU COM. Technically, I'm still on the final waitlist for this year, but there are only three weeks left, so I'm not counting on it. So here I go again for another year!

About the increase in class size, OSU has been saying that for the past three years, but it hasn't happened yet, so who knows?

Are you supposed to fill out the secondary application information posted on the website or will the schools send you information regarding the secondary application?

I got an email from Sarah Quinton Tuesday or Wednesday asking me to complete my supplemental. It gives you a link to the supplemental, but you can start it any time, you don't have to wait on the email.

Last edited:
So basically once the application process is complete and you have been "verified" (I am quickly coming to hate this term), you receive information from the schools requesting you complete the supplemental application?? Thanks!!!

Getting ready to send in my app here! My sister graduated from here and LOVED it.. it was the only place she applied! The people are so nice and welcoming and the OSU Medical Center (my sis is a resident there) is an amazing place to shadow!
I'm pretty sure they did increase their class size, but I remember them saying that this new number would be max or close to the max that their current facilities can accomodate.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's right- except my application never actually said "verified" with AACOMAS, and they never responded to my email asking if it had been verified. I just got the emails from 2 out of 3 schools asking for my secondaries.

And about the bigger class size, the first year I applied they said they were increasing it to like 120, then the second time I applied, they said they were increasing it to like 105, but neither of them happened. And I wouldn't bet on it for this year with all that's been going on with the hospital getting sold and residents being employees of the school and everything.

And I wouldn't bet on it for this year with all that's been going on with the hospital getting sold and residents being employees of the school and everything.

Those are completely unrelated to the med school class size (and they're positive moves).

im just glad the whole hospital issue is settled.

I realize they are not directly related, and I'm not saying they aren't good moves. My sister is a resident, trust me, I hear all about it. I was just speculating that increasing class size was not a priority.

I mailed my secondary today... Here's to another long year :oops:

Did you type the answer to the secondaries as one essay, or did you guys separate them by number.

Mostly I am confused about the question regarding financing your medical education.

I mean, i assume, for most its the same path, of loans, financial aid, scholarships, a little help from family.

but is there something that they are looking for that will make them say, oh good, this candidate seems secure.

and if so, why is this a question that is like an open ended question...how much do I write, anything in depth..?

A little confused.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I numbered them....thought this would be easier for them to digest.

The fin aid part was my shortes section. I talked about hopes of scholarship and definate loan possibilities. I also explored the possibility of a health corps loan.

They are likely just looking for premeditation.

I double spaced all of mine, easier to read.

I simply put that I would be applying for medical loans. Short and sweet, because it's the truth. I numbered my questions also.

Anyone else frustrated cause all their LOR writers are not on campus right now? All of mine are out between summer school and fall semester and won't be writing my letter until they get back. Bummer :thumbdown:

Couple of ?s regarding the supplemental application:

1) To what professional schools have you made application this year?

I've applied to 27 schools (DO & MD). Did you guys list them all?

2) I checked OSU's website and it says they either want a committee letter or 3 (two from science and one from non science instructors), but then they allow for 4 letter writers on their application. Thoughts on submitting a 4th?

I just talked with a rep at OSU and she said to list ALL the schools even though they don't really look at it.

And as for the LORs... I had a brain fart. 3 letters from teachers and 1 from DO = 4. Duh!

They don't require a letter from a DO, however, just the LOR from your college, as far as I know. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong here.

From their website.....

Letters should be sent directly to OSU Center for Health Sciences from the evaluator. The student may choose between the two tracks below:

Track 1
One letter from a college or university pre-professional/pre-med committee
One letter from an osteopathic physician (D.O.)

Track 2
Three letters preferably from faculty (2 science and 1 non-science faculty)
One letter from an osteopathic physician (D.O.)

Thats contradictory because according to the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book produced by the AACOM, "Letter of recommendation from premedical advisory committee, or letters of recommendation from three faculty members, at least two of whom teach science," are stated to be the only LOR requirements under the Supplemental Application Requirements on page 59. That's what I've been going by. I figured the AACOM knew what they were talking about, but apearantly they are wrong.

All of my supplementals require a letter from a DO, and I've been going off each schools individual website.

This is the only school that I really want to go to. I don't know if I would go to another school even if I was accepted. Should I go ahead and apply to more, especially since the sup app asks what schools you are applying to?

This is the only school that I really want to go to. I don't know if I would go to another school even if I was accepted. Should I go ahead and apply to more, especially since the sup app asks what schools you are applying to?

You should definately apply to more. If I were you I would go ahead and apply to close DO schools, like KCUMB and KCOM. That way you won't be spending much money on getting to interviews.

The first two years I applied, I only applied to OSU because it was the only school I wanted to attend. But, after two years of being put on the waitlist, I'm branching out. I'm just ready to go to school- any school.

So it depends on how bad you really want OSU. They have around 1500 applicants for 88 spots- very competitive- but if you're willing to put off going to school until you get the school you want, then go for it. Otherwise, you probably want to branch out.

Right here! I'm taking the MCAT next month and I'm going to submit my primary by then. We'll see!

When and where are you taking the MCAT. I have it in a week in Tulsa.

The first two years I applied, I only applied to OSU because it was the only school I wanted to attend. But, after two years of being put on the waitlist, I'm branching out. I'm just ready to go to school- any school.

So it depends on how bad you really want OSU. They have around 1500 applicants for 88 spots- very competitive- but if you're willing to put off going to school until you get the school you want, then go for it. Otherwise, you probably want to branch out.

There just seems to be something that I can pick out of all of the other schools that I don't like. What are your stats?

Get all your stuff done as quickly as possible. You want to be interviewed as quickly as possible. Just say you are waiting for your MCAT score when prompted. Its better to get this stuff done then wait a month.

Anyone complete? I am waiting for my DO LOR....

I am close to complete. I am reapplying this year and have had a busy summer so I'm a little behind. I am only waiting on aacomas. I should be finished with supplemental/lor's at school.

I'm also lacking my DO LOR. Then I'll be complete and hopefully scheduling an interview :)

I am thinking about making a casual phone call to see if the DO needs any extra information.....scared....don't want to rush......ahhhhh

Did anyone get rejected pre-secondary because they didn't submit a MCAT score? I clearly had my MCAT test date marked on the application, but I received a lovely letter telling me that I don't meet their minimum requirements (which they proceed to list in the letter). This is impossible because my GPA is way higher than their minimum, on the order of 0.7 higher. The only reason that I can come up with as to why I was rejected was because I didn't meet their minimum MCAT score but that's because I don't have a MCAT score! I'm not even a retester, my first test was 8/15 and I marked that on the application. Did this happen to anyone else?

Hey, I wanted to make sure you guys know about our August Auction to help raise money for the Riley and Claudia Memorial Fund.

There are many great items in the auction, so take a look, browse, bid! If you're wanting a chance to talk one-on-one with an OSU-COMer about applying, the school, rotations, residencies, whatever, you're in luck! I've offered up a dinner with DrMom just for you! Check it out! :D And remember...it's for a good cause. :)

Can someone post a link to the secondary application. For some reason my computer wont let me access the osucom website.

I'm still waiting on my DO LOR :(

Anyone heard anything on interviews yet? I don't know how early they start calling, I think they usually start interviews in October though.

No word yet....sittin'....waitin'.....wishin'

t

too true...have read it over and over and over...i might be a little neurotic....

Where is Tushka?....too lazy to mapquest

Did anyone get rejected pre-secondary because they didn't submit a MCAT score? I clearly had my MCAT test date marked on the application, but I received a lovely letter telling me that I don't meet their minimum requirements (which they proceed to list in the letter). This is impossible because my GPA is way higher than their minimum, on the order of 0.7 higher. The only reason that I can come up with as to why I was rejected was because I didn't meet their minimum MCAT score but that's because I don't have a MCAT score! I'm not even a retester, my first test was 8/15 and I marked that on the application. Did this happen to anyone else?

This happened to me too. I called them and they said that I should just call them when I get my scores and they'll put my app back up for consideration. Who knows what they'll actually do with it though...

tushka is 25 miles north of durant. 45 miles south of mclaster

Status
Not open for further replies.