• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

OSU-COM vs. KCUMB

nalgie24

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2007
Kansas City, MO
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey everyone,

I know that no one can offer more than their opinion about various schools. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some good feedback from you guys to help me get a better perspective on these two. I really like the curriculum at KCUMB and their new facilities. At the same time, Oklahoma State has a really nice campus and the new OSU Medical Center is a huge bonus. What do you all think?

Packamylase

MSIV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2006
In the City of Fountains
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey everyone,

I know that no one can offer more than their opinion about various schools. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some good feedback from you guys to help me get a better perspective on these two. I really like the curriculum at KCUMB and their new facilities. At the same time, Oklahoma State has a really nice campus and the new OSU Medical Center is a huge bonus. What do you all think?

That's probaby a tough choice. Is location important to you? OSU does have its "own" medical center, which is nice, but KCUMB has some incredible rotations as well. I never interviewed nor applied to OSU, so I can only comment on KCUMB. I really liked KCUMB a lot and was really impressed with the students I met, with the facilities, with their curriculum, and with the matchlist - which is a reflection of the students.

About the Ads

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Wild west of Mistytown
Status (Visible)
If you search this forum for OSU-COM or KCUMB a few of the students have commented on what their opinions of the school such as in this thread. A few KCUMB students have commented as well in other threads.

OSU-COM is a smaller school, some people like that atmosphere. KCUMB has a systems schedule, OSU-COM has the basic science schedule. They both have pros and cons so you need to do what is best for you.

I'm going to say though if I applied to both I'd go to OSU-COM. You don't have to move for rotations their support staff is great and I really like the profs. Also Goljan doesn't hurt either.

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
from the ministry of information
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think OSU offers significant enough clinical advantages to win here. You do get to stay in one place. You don't have the varying quality of clinical rotations which I think is an issue with KCUMB (some locations are great, some aren't so hot). I agree that KCUMB's curriculum sounds pretty neat, but the last two years are more important than the first two.

The downsides of OSU over KCUMB would be location. Kansas City's a much bigger city. Also, KCUMB students come from all over, while the majority of students at OSU are from Oklahoma. The latter can actually be sort of a downer (same is true at my school), but Oklahomans aren't horrible people or anything.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.