OSU-COM vs. KCUMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nalgie24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know that no one can offer more than their opinion about various schools. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some good feedback from you guys to help me get a better perspective on these two. I really like the curriculum at KCUMB and their new facilities. At the same time, Oklahoma State has a really nice campus and the new OSU Medical Center is a huge bonus. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I know that no one can offer more than their opinion about various schools. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some good feedback from you guys to help me get a better perspective on these two. I really like the curriculum at KCUMB and their new facilities. At the same time, Oklahoma State has a really nice campus and the new OSU Medical Center is a huge bonus. What do you all think?

That's probaby a tough choice. Is location important to you? OSU does have its "own" medical center, which is nice, but KCUMB has some incredible rotations as well. I never interviewed nor applied to OSU, so I can only comment on KCUMB. I really liked KCUMB a lot and was really impressed with the students I met, with the facilities, with their curriculum, and with the matchlist - which is a reflection of the students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oklahoma State by a landslide. PM me if you want a more detailed explanation (and tell me what state you are a resident in).

Reactions: 1 user
If you search this forum for OSU-COM or KCUMB a few of the students have commented on what their opinions of the school such as in this thread. A few KCUMB students have commented as well in other threads.

OSU-COM is a smaller school, some people like that atmosphere. KCUMB has a systems schedule, OSU-COM has the basic science schedule. They both have pros and cons so you need to do what is best for you.

I'm going to say though if I applied to both I'd go to OSU-COM. You don't have to move for rotations their support staff is great and I really like the profs. Also Goljan doesn't hurt either.

Mush is about the best resource on SDN I've seen for DO schools.

:love:

I think OSU offers significant enough clinical advantages to win here. You do get to stay in one place. You don't have the varying quality of clinical rotations which I think is an issue with KCUMB (some locations are great, some aren't so hot). I agree that KCUMB's curriculum sounds pretty neat, but the last two years are more important than the first two.

The downsides of OSU over KCUMB would be location. Kansas City's a much bigger city. Also, KCUMB students come from all over, while the majority of students at OSU are from Oklahoma. The latter can actually be sort of a downer (same is true at my school), but Oklahomans aren't horrible people or anything.