OSU Optometry Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optomize

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does OSU take to get back to you? I sent the application in early september and still have not received a response :( All of my other schools have gotten back to me..

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I received an interview invitation a day after I submitted my application. I submitted my app in the first week of September and was able to receive a response quickly (before my OptomCAS app was even verified). If you haven't received an email that says they've received your app, you should probably contact them about it. Good luck!

I received an interview invitation within a few weeks of getting my application verified. Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
They took the longest for me, they interview in cycles and basically line you up on a number line based off of your stats regardless of when you send in your application. I'd expect to wait a while unless your stats meet their averages (3.7 cgpa 3.5 sgpa, 330 oat) in which case you should hear back from them almost immediately.

well... my gpa is 3.3 and my oat is 360/400, so I thought i would hear back sooner, but no response :/

Hi guys! I have my osu interview soon. I was wondering how your interview went!

Hey! I had my OSU interview in October and it was pretty laid back. The questions that they asked were pretty straightforward. I advise that you watch the videos that they sent you (especially the one on interview tips) because they are sooo helpful. I was interviewed by 4 members of the admissions committee.

Here's a breakdown of how my interview day went:
1. You meet with an admissions counselor and they give you a breakdown of the day's activities (they give you a folder containing info about OSU, business cards, financial aid info, etc.)
2. You tour the College of Optometry and the OSU campus
3. Lunch with current students
4. Interview (mine lasted about 40 minutes)
5. The admission counselor will explain financial aide and how to qualify for in state tuition after your first year (if you're from out of state)

My day ended after that. I was there for about 4-5 hours (?). I received a phone call 4 days later informing me that I've been accepted!

Good luck with your interview and let me know if you need any more advice! Remember to just be yourself :)

Hey! I had my OSU interview in October and it was pretty laid back. The questions that they asked were pretty straightforward. I advise that you watch the videos that they sent you (especially the one on interview tips) because they are sooo helpful. I was interviewed by 4 members of the admissions committee.

Here's a breakdown of how my interview day went:
1. You meet with an admissions counselor and they give you a breakdown of the day's activities (they give you a folder containing info about OSU, business cards, financial aid info, etc.)
2. You tour the College of Optometry and the OSU campus
3. Lunch with current students
4. Interview (mine lasted about 40 minutes)
5. The admission counselor will explain financial aide and how to qualify for in state tuition after your first year (if you're from out of state)

My day ended after that. I was there for about 4-5 hours (?). I received a phone call 4 days later informing me that I've been accepted!

Good luck with your interview and let me know if you need any more advice! Remember to just be yourself :)

Hi! Congrats on your interview! I just received an interview from osu! I finished my application first week of November, I'm surprised I even got an interview. I'm so nervous! How did you feel about the school while you were there? and did you interview anywhere else, if so, how did it compare?

Hi! Congrats on your interview! I just received an interview from osu! I finished my application first week of November, I'm surprised I even got an interview. I'm so nervous! How did you feel about the school while you were there? and did you interview anywhere else, if so, how did it compare?

The OSU campus is HUGE. It felt like its own city. The college of optometry is great as well. The faculty really seem to care a lot about their students and I felt that during my interview day. Everyone was friendly and easy to talk to. I was impressed with their facilities too. I did interview at another school (SUNY) and I loved it there. I eventually chose SUNY because I felt like the location matches my personality more and I felt that is where I will thrive and experience the most growth. Good luck with your interview. Let me know if you need any more advice. I'll gladly help :)

The OSU campus is HUGE. It felt like its own city. The college of optometry is great as well. The faculty really seem to care a lot about their students and I felt that during my interview day. Everyone was friendly and easy to talk to. I was impressed with their facilities too. I did interview at another school (SUNY) and I loved it there. I eventually chose SUNY because I felt like the location matches my personality more and I felt that is where I will thrive and experience the most growth. Good luck with your interview. Let me know if you need any more advice. I'll gladly help :)

hi rsod07!

Thank you so much for responding to me! :) I was just wondering, were the interview questions very similar to the video or the questions on SDN? Like...what were some past challenges that youve overcome and what can you bring to osu. Im super nervous for this interview :/

Reactions: 1 user
hi rsod07!

Thank you so much for responding to me! :) I was just wondering, were the interview questions very similar to the video or the questions on SDN? Like...what were some past challenges that youve overcome and what can you bring to osu. Im super nervous for this interview :/

Yes the questions were pretty similar to the video! There were also typical questions like Why Optometry?, why OSU, etc. It's best if your answers are specific and you include personal experiences (I definitely think it strengthens your answers) Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine. Try your best not to be nervous. It can be intimidating in the beginning because the room is pretty big, but the interviewers are friendly which helps you relax quickly.

Hi optomize also to add to this, I had my OSU interview last week and was informed today that they cannot make a decision at this time which I guess is essentially a “hold” decision? I called and he said it was about a waitlist but they will just review a large group of candidates at the end of this month and go from there. The interview was great I felt and I felt I did wonderful, questions just like SDN. Wish me luck!

Hi optomize also to add to this, I had my OSU interview last week and was informed today that they cannot make a decision at this time which I guess is essentially a “hold” decision? I called and he said it was about a waitlist but they will just review a large group of candidates at the end of this month and go from there. The interview was great I felt and I felt I did wonderful, questions just like SDN. Wish me luck!

ah i see.. does that mean the class is filled up already? :/

How long does OSU take to get back to you? I sent the application in early september and still have not received a response :( All of my other schools have gotten back to me..
Send their admissions office an email and see what your status may be.

ah i see.. does that mean the class is filled up already? :/
I doubt they've already filled their class - I heard they are scheduling interviews all the way into April. Probably shouldn't worry about that!