OSU or Case?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddstobe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are an Ohio resident (a few months now), an avg. applicant, will you have a better chance to get in OSU or Case? How do you guys compare them? Which school do you guys like better? Is OSU clinical base? Any inputs will definitely help. Thanks guys! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

come on, show some love. :love: :love: :love:

i think your chances may be a bit higher at case since it's private. imo, case also has better clinics but i would go to osu in a heartbeat if i were an oh resident

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are an Ohio resident (a few months now), an avg. applicant, will you have a better chance to get in OSU or Case? How do you guys compare them? Which school do you guys like better? Is OSU clinical base? Any inputs will definitely help. Thanks guys! ;)

apply to both and see what happens.

Why did you say you'd go to Ohio in a heartbeat if you were OH resident? Are u talking about the low tuition?

If I were you, definitly apply to both and see what happens, but if you get accepted to both I would choose OSU. I know a first year at case who is paying more than twice as much to go to case than he would have if he went to OSU. But if your not concerned about the cost aspect, which is quite a big difference, Case does have better facilities I think... but I'd still choose OSU over case in a hearbeat.

Why did you say you'd go to Ohio in a heartbeat if you were OH resident? Are u talking about the low tuition?

cleveland vs columbus
D3 vs D1 sports
private vs instate tuition

Here's this Ohio resident's take on the situation:

* Being an Ohio resident will not give you an edge at Case.
* Being a graduate of the undergrad program at OSU or Case will give you an edge at each school respectively.
* Both schools seem to favor a relatively high GPA -- think 3.5+ for Case or 3.6+ for OSU.
* For Case, you MUST apply early, meaning by the middle of June.
* OSU requires a number of additional prereqs -- one semester/quarter of biochemistry, anatomy (anatomy & phys will not count unless you complete two semesters) and microbiology. This is a pain if you're a non-trad or non-bio major.
* In most cases, OSU will be much cheaper than Case.

Please take these points with a grain of salt -- I'm sure that there are plenty of exceptions out there. I do not have any first hand knowledge of OSU's program -- I didn't have all the additional prereqs necessary to apply.

birkchick: I didn't know OSU requires one semester of biochem, thanks for the reminder. Did you choose Case over Columbia? Why?

dizzle23x: "D3 vs D1 sports" ??? Sorry I don't get it...

birkchick: I didn't know OSU requires one semester of biochem, thanks for the reminder. Did you choose Case over Columbia? Why?

Case was a better fit for me. Case is more clinically oriented and I just liked the culture. Columbia's a great school, don't get me wrong, but it just wasn't for me.

dizzle23x: "D3 vs D1 sports" ??? Sorry I don't get it...

He's referring to athletics. Case is a Division 3 school (sports don't matter at all) while OSU is a Division 1 school (the school revolves around their sports teams).

Regardless of Case's athletic division, Cleveland does have a lot to offer sportswise. A better comparison would be:

(D3 + Indians + Browns + Cavs) vs (D1 + Bluejackets (NHL))

Cleveland also has The Free Clinic .... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

ehhh...it helps keep me sane

touché...but i don't think the browns really count

At least, you can buy cheap tickets to see your favorite teams pounding the Browns... :D :D :D

How 'bout Houston Rockets vs. Cavs in NBA final ..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

birkchick: but Case has just chance their curriculum this year, I thought it's more research base than clinical base now, is it not?

birkchick: but Case has just chance their curriculum this year, I thought it's more research base than clinical base now, is it not?

your nucking futs, its way more clinical now than ever. we start drilling in the dent sim lab after a few weeks. do sealants on school kids in Nov. Do prophies on regular patients in january. Take lame classes on how to interact with patients and they now bring actors in and we do an encounter. We have a strong clinical program.

Take lame classes on how to interact with patients and they now bring actors in and we do an encounter. We have a strong clinical program.

Oh yeah...lame course..... We have couple of sessions for smoking cessation :D :D

If by research you mean teach everything yourself, then yeah, much more research based too. :p

i got case but waitlisted at osu you can check my stats at predents.com